Inertia switch problem

Today, my 88 Topaz refused to start. After checking around a bit, I tried resetting the inertia switch. It started up, no problem. After a 2 1/2 mile
drive to the shopping centre, I returned to the car to find the switch tripped again! A few hundred feet down the road, and it tripped again. I coasted into a gas station, and reset it once more. After that it was OK for the rest of the trip home. The temperature for the last two days has peaked at over 100 F. I see no reason why heat should trip an inertia switch. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Another question, where is the fuse box in this model?
Thanks in advance Steve R.
--
Due to high levels of spam, all email to this account is being auto deleted.

"Steve R." wrote

Ever notice how "superconductor" magnets like to be supercold? The inside of the inertia switch is basically a small funnel, with a steel ball sitting in it, and a magnet at the bottom. Put a 20-year old magnet and some egg-frying heat together, and the switch gets a lot easier to trip, either by a bumpy road, or a slammed trunk (if you parked on a hill, like I did), or someone bumping your car in the parking lot (any new scuffs?). And make sure the switch is vertical, and bolted in the proper place, not lying on the carpet. Fuse box should be above your left foot when driving.

dissect one! The switch is in the proper place. No bumps though. I live in the country, but most roads are paved. I will probably bypass the switch for now as it's some distance to a parts supply.
Thanks for the info!
Steve R.
--
Due to high levels of spam, all email to this account is being auto deleted.

The I-switch in my '94 TBird has failed a time or 2. Like to got me killed once (long story).
If 100% practical, I'd bypass the damned thang and leave it that way. If so, I'd appreciate notes on how to do it (I've been meaning to for years). :-)
Cheers, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Sorry for doing a follow-up of my own post, but...... . Today I checked around the auto parts wholesales, and some retail firms. The inertia switch is not available as an aftermarket item. One Ford dealer on the South end of Vancouver Island has one in stock. Just one! Fasten your seatbelts, they want $94.00 CDN for it! I did the only reasonable thing, and made a jumper for the connector in my workshop. Zero cost!
Steve R.
--
Due to high levels of spam, all email to this account is being auto deleted.

"Steve R." wrote

Small flat wrench. Long pants. Stretchy socks. Wrecking yard. (Shhh, don't tell anyone!)

The ones in the wreckers are probably just as bad. The climate here is very wet in the winter, and the one from my car looks like it got wet sometime in the past.
Steve R.
--
Due to high levels of spam, all email to this account is being auto deleted.