Info about a Ford vehicle

I just bought a 09 Ford Taurus X. It was a demo car driven by a Ford guy so technically its a used vehicle. Does anyone know if I have to fill out the change of ownership card that comes in the manual and send that to Ford?

As well, does anyone what the weight capacity of the LATCH child anchors are in Ford vehicles ? Thanks.

Reply to
car crash

If it was truly a Ford Motor Company vehicle, one that was never titled, no.

If not, I would send in the card, if you want to be the owner of record, if it was not a Ford Motor Company vehicle

Some dealers have a tendency to sell vehicles, like leases owned by Ford Credit Company, as "Ford" owned vehicles but they are not a Ford Motor Company vehicle and have been titled, so you are thus the second owner of record if there is a recall etc..

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ask your dealer. That is what the dealer gets paid for.

Ditto.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

When I bought my 1997 Contour, it had about 4000 mi on it. The salesman said it was a demo that was driven by the dealership owner's wife. Acording to the salesman, because it was used by the dealer, I got the original title. I have no idea if that was true, however. And the laws may be different in different states (this was in Michigan).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I bet half the "demo" cars on their lot have that story told about them.

Acording to the salesman, because it was used by the dealer, I

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I don't really know. The car ran great for about 155,000 mi. I was delighted with the car.

Jeff

.
Reply to
Jeff

You are correct for a change! That was because the dealer do not title cars until they are sold. He uses dealer plates.

Just think, if you lived in Pennsylvania you could get "Classic" plates for your ten year old car, that is no longer production.

When I bought my 1997 Contour, it had about 4000 mi on it. The salesman said it was a demo that was driven by the dealership owner's wife. Acording to the salesman, because it was used by the dealer, I got the original title. I have no idea if that was true, however. And the laws may be different in different states (this was in Michigan).

Jeff

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Good cars! My one great grand children just got his license. He is driving a 2000 Mystique V6 that was passed down from me, that has over 260,000 miles on it and still going strong after about five different drivers ;)

I don't really know. The car ran great for about 155,000 mi. I was delighted with the car.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Prior to my purchase, my prior, privately and individual owned 08 Focus with

925 miles on it had dealer plates on it. The county tax office showed the prior private owner with title in lien as part of its history. Texas does not issue physical titles with lien any longer. CARFAX corroborated with that history with no discrepancies.

License plates, at least in Texas, are part of the registration process. In Texas, license plates have nothing directly to do with the title of the vehicle. The registration process does have bearing on the title of the vehcle. In Texas, a new car dealer sends in the paperwork to DPS for title reassignment and to the county tax assessor for registration of the vehicle in behalf of the new owner. The new car dealer does not title a vehicle, ever.

Reply to
Dioclese

That is generally the case, as far as I know dealers do not "title" vehicles in any state. The title is issued by the government. There are some states where the license plate follows the car, however.

A COV, Certificate of Origin, Vehicle, is sent to the dealership from the manufacture, or vehicle modifier with the invoice, that is surrendered to the state government entity that issues the original title. A vehicle can not be sold untill the dealership possess the COV

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In Texas, the registered owner may retain their license plates at sale as a seller option. Otherwise, the plates do go with the vehicle.

You said below, in a prior reply, that "dealer do not title cars until they are sold". Heaviily implying that they do title cars after they are sold. The seller does not ever title a vehicle as part of condition after the sale. The seller does not title the vehicle at all. As you astutely replied this last time.

Reply to
Dioclese

Of course you are correct. I can see why you thought that from my wording, but what I meant to convey was the fact the dealers not need to title new cars because the COV serves as the ownership document untill the vehicle is sold. He then submits the COV to the state, that then issues a title to the owner. NO new vehicle can be titled without the properly notarized COV and the COV can only be transfer to the state or another franchised dealership or converter, if it is properly notarized.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the cars, it's just one of the many lies the salesman use as part of their sales tool kit. For some reason they think that if they tell people it was the "owners wife" that was driving the car they will feel more kindly toward the car then if they tell them it was the parts runner vehicle for the last three months. I went looking for an Impala (plan Jane) quite a few years ago and the first story the salesman told me was that he doubted they had any, they never have Impala's, only the higher end models usually and then showed me one that "had been driven by the owner's wife". Then when I insisted I really was only looking for low cost Impalas he discovered they did, in fact, have a couple of them "in back". One thing you can take to the back, if a car salesman's lips are moving chances are he's lying to you about something.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher