Info: Note on Ford brake-line fittings

As mentioned frequently on here, Ford often uses different size fittings on brake lines to prevent assembly errors.

In some cases the threaded body is different size; in others, just the 'nut-head'. There are thread adapters made for the former case, available at local parts stores like KOI and NAPA. Some reason, not Autozone! But dont worry about nuthead size if the threads fit.

EXCEPT: I recently had a problem replacing a line into a rear ABS block where the replacement fitting seemed 'loose' in the block socket. I didnt want to reflare to use the original big-head fitting so I prayed. And it sealed okay. (And yes, I checked that both it and the original fit a female coupling)

HOWEVER - if you are splicing/flaring a line anyway as I will shortly to replace rusted front-to rear lines, suggest you reuse the original nut. DONT FORGET TO COUNT FITTINGS BEFORE YOU FLARE!!! Common 'ooops!'

Another hint: Replacing a line, nut rusted solid? DONT fudge around, cut the line at the nut and use a six-point socket. Flex line nut rusted solid? same thing... not worth the hassle and odds are flex line will start leaking soon anyway.

Also, Break loose bleeders with six point socket before using box wrench during bleed. Saves your nerves.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yaywho.com says... |As mentioned frequently on here, Ford often uses different size fittings |on brake lines to prevent assembly errors. |

The last 5 years I've heard about alot more cars, from multiple manufacturers, having rust out of brake lines. This is the northeast USA. Is this happening because cars on are the road longer, the cars are built with brakes lines made of lower quality material, poor owner maintenance, quality of the brake fluid or more nasty stuff is being used to melt snow and ice on the roads ?

Reply to
Steven Stone

The average mileage an American citizen drives every year is a statistic that is tracked by DOT - it has been increasing for a long time.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt