Injector Cleaners???...Oil Brands???

I am looking for some opinions on Ejector cleaners. Are they any good? What kind , who ? Harmful to internal parts? When to use them? Best Buy?

I was also wondering what the opinions on oil brands are. Synthetic or normal? My dad told me that driving with the "high milage" types can cause seals to detieriate and fail over time. Since my motor is older I like to use 20/50 in the summer and 10/40 in the winter.

Thanks, Darrenoid

Reply to
Darrenoid

First off, the best of the injector cleaners is the stuff made by Chevron. If you have a Sam's Club or a WalMart or a Price Club, a two bottle carton will run about $7.00. If not, a one bottle container will run about $7.00 at the local auto parts store. This stuff really does work but it will take time, usually two or more applications and you will need to keep using it for perhaps 5 or six tank fulls to really get the full benefit. Stay away from those idiots at the Speedy Oil change or Master Lube or whatever they call themselves in your neighborhood. They'll offer a fuel injection cleaning treatment for $50 or so bucks and it will accomplish very little.

As to oil. If you have a high mileage car, that would be one with 80,000 plus miles, then any of the higher mileage oils would be perfect. I think you may have misunderstood the old man or perhaps he was mistaken. The HM oils have additives to soften and swell old seals (actually most oils do too but not in higher concentrations like HM oils do). I don't know what motor you're running but I'd be willing to bet that 20/50 is not going to get the job done as well as 10/30 or 10/40. Unless you're pulling a heavy load or driving around Las Vegas, 10/30 will get onto the parts quicker and flow everywhere quicker without sacrificing any lubricity. Since you motor is well worn, switching to synthetics will most likely not help you much. It may in fact, cause you trouble by weeping past seals and rings. Save your money and just buy good old dino juice.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Injector Cleaners???...Oil Brands??? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Dec 23, 2003, 12:36am From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Darrenoid)

I am looking for some opinions on Ejector cleaners. Are they any good? What kind , who ? Harmful to internal parts? When to use them? Best Buy?

Reply to
Eric Toline

I believe pretty much all of today's gasoline already has enough detergents in it to keep injectors clean (unless you leave your engine sitting for months). I don't waste my money on any injector cleaner, and all of my engines run just great, and have for years.

How many miles is "higher mileage"? 20-50 is usually used when the engine has "very higher mileage" (over 200,000 miles) to keep oil pressure up in the green. It won't hurt your engine to run 20-50 in the summer as long as you don't rev the engine to the red line.

I don't now how 20-50 benefits load-hauling engines (versus 10-30), but the

20-50 film tears more easily at high rpm. Unless you're running a diesel, I wouldn't think that'd be a good thing for a load-hauler.

Plus, unless your engine is very worn it doesn't need oil that thick yet. In fact, if the engine isn't knocking with wear, using or leaking oil, 10-30 in the summer and 5-30 in the winter would be just fine (and just about what the factory probably calls for).

Reply to
Clem

the engineer how often I should use injector cleaners and he said NEVER! He said 90% of warranty claims came from the states that add alcohol to their gas. It penetrates the seals and causes them to leak. BTW the recommended oil for a Ford focus is 5w20. It cuts down friction and the high flow cools the bearings better. Gerry

Reply to
Gerry