Installing shift cable on 2000 Taurus

Hello All,

On my Taurus 2000 SE the shift cable broke. I purchased the replacement cable from Ford and attempting to install it by myself.

I was able to successfully remove the old cable and place the new one through the firewall. The problem I'm having is aligning the square bracket (that only fits in one direction) to the metal frame under the column. After the cable is positioned at such an angle where I could attempt to fit the bracket in place its on the wrong side and I can't move the cable to the correct position.

I have been told that the installation is suppose to be pretty quick so I think I'm missing something simple.

I notice that their is a fuse box that could possible be in the way, although I don't know how to remove it. The fuse box has one bolt on the bottom that I can remove and something keeping it in place on the top that I can't see. I don't know however if this is something I should even need to remove to install the shift cable correctly.

If anyone could help or point me in the direction of some information I would be greatfull.

Ryan

Reply to
nntp2.tsoft.net

Do you have column or floor shift? I have the 2000 Service manual and can either type in or scan in the information. There are both remove/install instructions, and adjustment instructions.

Generally, from what I can read, the column shift has a locking clip you pull up when removing (and are supposed to discard), and then reinstall a new one. For the floor shift, there is this: Place the selector lever in OVERDRIVE, then attatch the selector lever cable to the selector lever. Move the manual lever to OVERDRIVE, then install the selector lever cable onto the manual lever.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I have a column shifter. There is a locking clip on both the new and old cable. From what I can tell they do not come off the cable. I can't adjust the clip so it's in the correct angle so it will snap on.

If you could send me the instructions that would be great.

snipped-for-privacy@rnelnet.com

Reply to
nntp2.tsoft.net

I put scans of several relavent pages here (about 380K):

Andrew Rossmann