instrument cluster lights speedometer cable 1981 ford van e250

Hi Folks: I'm hoping someone can help me here. I need to pull my instrument cluster out, actually just the section containing the speedometer and gauges, to change the lights. The manual is telling me
to pull the cluster out enough for me to disconnect the speedometer cable. I can just barely get my hand behind the thing, because the cable is too tight, and it doesn't feel like a knurled sleeve that I'm use to. I can only just feel this fastener, whatever it is.. It rotates a bit in either direction, but I can't even get my fingers around this connector. There must be something I'm missing. Maybe I need to disconnect the cable at the tranny for more slack? Thanks for any help folks. Harry
1981 ford e250 club wagon 460
It has a snap on connector, not a screw type. One must squeeze the connector, to release the tab that catches on one side.
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

yes, and, see if you can get to it BEFORE you pull it out by reaching up from under the dash.

Hi Mike! I found it hard getting under the dash, so I unclamped the cable from under the van and pushed forward as much cable as I could (there was plenty slack). Then I could get the panel out enough to push that tab and pull the cable. It turns out one bulb was blown, but everything on this panel is wired via a flexible PC board. All this was corroded, probably due to the evidence of residence by mice which built a rather firm nest on top of the panel. It was so packed with nesting material, it made it difficult to pull the panel! I used a scotch-brite pad and silicone grease to clean and hopefully seal the copper from more corrosion. At least now I can see gas gauge, important on a 460! Thanks Folks! Harry
Mike Hunter wrote: