intake manifold runner movement?

99 ford windstar. is the IMRC supposed to move its control arms when I rev the engine above 3,000 in neutral while parked in the driveway or does it have to be under load or something. I'm not sure the thing is working and would hate to replace it if it is and I'm just not meeting the proper parameters for it to show movement.
Reply to
mmmgall

Have the engine codes read. If there is something wrong with the IMRC, the OBD will throw a code. BTW, the days of of eyeballing an engine to determine a problem are pretty much over, unless you're looking for something like a fluid leak.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

I have used a code reader and get no code except 171 and 174... bothe indicate bank 1 & bank 2 running lean. There is no code shown for the IMRC. Now here is the deal.... the signal may have been sent to the IMRC to open its respective valves (runners) but the mechanical arms are not moving. That is I see no movement when I rev the engine in the driveway. My opinion is that the days of eyeballing an engine are definitely NOT over. If I took the control arms off of the IMRC it would not throw a code even though it was responding to the engine control parameters but not actually moving the runner controls.

Reply to
mmmgall