Interceptor spotlight

When I first got my '95 Crown Vic the spotlight didn't move at all. WD-40 seems to have solved a lot, though.

The two basic motions seem to be that you can kind of push the handle up and down to rotate the shaft itself. Or, you can twist the handle, and there's a cogwheel mechanism inside that twists the light. It's this latter motion that doesn't seem to work too well.

The twisting the handle so the light points forward seems to work well, but twisting the other way to return it to not pointing forward often stops moving the light before it's come all the way back; the remaining twisting of the handle has no useful effect.

The cogs on the hand-grip part of the light, that you can easily inspect by just unscrewing the handle, look a bit damaged.

Is this not-fully-returning an expected, well-known problem? Is it easily fixed? If it's likely to just be a case of getting a new handle part then, heck, that's easy to replace. The next step, with the other cog but still inside, looks like it would come off fairly easily too, but then I'd have to move the wire onto a new switch. It doesn't help that, not having used such a spotlight new, I'm not sure what to expect from them, but it sure does seem useful for when you take the dog for a midnight run in a field somewhere. (-:

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

Thomas Moats