Interior light relay irratic, stay on too long ...It get worse

Help... My daughters 98 Taurus has the light problem, I tried to pull the little relay from under the dash, It broke into peices Now I cant figure out how to get the rest of it out. It seems only the black cover
come off easy. I must be doing something wrong...After sparks flying now the elictric windows want work but the fuse is good. Does the interior light relay have anything to do with the electric windows, Is there a secret to removing these relays? Is there anyway to bypass the relays to get the windows working again,? Interior lights are minor compared to the windows. Help, Dad is in trouble..