Interior Light Will Not Turn Off

I have a '95 Ford Taurus sedan that has a problem with the lights. The interior ceiling light will not turn off (along with the the lights on the outside door keyholes). The keyless entry pad stopped working a
couple of weeks previous to this. We replaced the fuses to the lights that seemed to apply. I am disconnecting the battery terminal at night so it will not drain. Any ideas?
Interior Light Will Not Turn Off Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Wed, Oct 19, 2005, 6:29am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (MortesL)
I have a '95 Ford Taurus sedan that has a problem with the lights. The interior ceiling light will not turn off (along with the the lights on the outside door keyholes). The keyless entry pad stopped working a couple of weeks previous to this. We replaced the fuses to the lights that seemed to apply. I am disconnecting the battery terminal at night so it will not drain. Any ideas?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Does the "door open" icon light up on your instrument panel? I had a similar problem that was solved by a squirt of spray lube in all the door latches.
Eric
I don't believe so. I will double check tonight. Thanks for the tip.
Check to see if the dash light intensity switch is turned to the full on position. That position is use to illuminate the interior lighting.

We played with the switch a good bit since that seemed to be the most obvious reason. No amount of changing the postions of the switch helped.
Spray some lubricant into the lock mechanical on the door post. I had a similar problem and this solved it [tip given to me by local Ford Service Manager]. In the past Ford, like other cars, had a plunger on the door jamb, but they now have it as an integral part of the locking mech. Don't spray in the keyhole, only in the slot on the edge or the door where it latches.

MortesL wrote: "I have a '95 Ford Taurus sedan that has a problem with the lights. The interior ceiling light will not turn off (along with the the lights on the outside door keyholes). The keyless entry pad stopped working a couple of weeks previous to this. We replaced the fuses to the lights that seemed to apply. I am disconnecting the battery terminal at night so it will not drain. Any ideas?"
I had this same problem on a 97 Ford Taurus. The problem was one of the plungers were bad. The outside looked good but the metal contact would stick when depressed.
Sarge

What "plunger" would that be?
I had a plunger on the car body that went in when the door closed. I believe the correct name is door ajar switch. I think mine was on the center pillar post for the front door and the unibody frame for the rear doors.
Sarge
Re: Interior Light Will Not Turn Off
"Sarge" wrote:
I had this problem on a 97 Taurus. The problem was a plunger was bad. The outside looked good but the metal contact would stick when depressed. _______________________________________________
"Bob" wrote:
What "plunger" would that be? _______________________________________________
The plunger is the the spring-loaded probe in the car door frame which operates the interior light disconnect switch. When the door is closed the plunger is compressed and the interior lights are turned off. When the door is open the plunger is released and the interior lights are turned on.
If the plunger is broken off, the switch will stay in the ON position and the interior lights will stay on continuously.
If the switch has an internal short it will stay in the ON position and the interior lights will stay on continuously
Good luck.

A 97 Taurus has no such plunger, the door ajar switch is mounted to the latch on the inside of the door. Bob
Had exactly the same problem, with door ajar not lit.
Had to check each and every pillar sw, and the passenger side rear was the culprit.
Looked like its concealed part had been bashed with a hammer. Dont ask me how, couldnt figure it out.
But you MIGHT start there.

Why not take out the fuses for the circuit rather than disconnect the battery terminal?
--
Earl F. Parrish

common problem for 92 - 95 taurus, was the dash light dimmer control switch. the reostat goes.bad.