Intermittent ABS Light - 99 Windstar

Sometime the ABS light will stay on when I start the van. Other times it will come on while driving at 35-45 MPH. Re-starting the engine will usually extinguish the light. Just had the brakes replaced (needed for
state inspection) and fluid level is at the full mark. The brake shop didn't have a clue what to do about the intermittent ABS light. Is there a code scanner that will help me isolate the problem? I hate to go to a dealer without a little knowledge beforehand.
Thanks for any help.