Intermittent starting problems-'99 Taurus

I have been having problems with a 99 Taurus and have had it to the dealer twice and also took it to Pep Boy for diagnosis, all with no improvement. The list of services so far have been: New Plugs, New
Wires, Injector and throttle body cleaning, Crankshaft position sensor, temperature sensor replacement,coil replacement, EGR Valve and fuel filter replacement. If you are keeping track, you would be correct at almost a thousand bucks, with no relief... Both Ford and Pep Boys say there are no codes in computer, so they continue to replace on a poke and hope sort of basis. The symptoms are as follows..Usually when it is cold (25-30 deg F) in the morning, it will not start just by hitting the key. Some coaxing with turning the key off and giving a pump or two will usually coax it to life. Once it starts, rough idle and poor acceleration occur for a while, and after a period of time, normal operation occurs. Any advice on this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.
TIA
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

temp sensor)? I would clean the MAF(mass air flow)sensor for sure. Then I would scan it for data when its cold and look for anything temp related that doesn't look right like the act says its 50 degrees instead of 35. I would also check the spark to see if its thick and blue first thing in the morning. Then I would check the fuel pressure in the AM. It sounds as if the battery is ok but it wouldn't hurt to check it in the am while cranking then running when cold. Good luck on this one. At least it does it consistently so you should be able to find the problem.
The concern sounds simple enough- hard to start cold and rough idle.. If you have had it to a dealer twice with no improvement, make an appointment to see either the service manager or dealer principal, as this should be totaly unacceptable to you. You have rights as a consumer; if your dealer won't stand behind you, go to www.ford.com and registar a complaint.

Ted wrote:

The service manager is involved and basically says until breaks, we can't fix it, but they still charge their$ 90.00/hr fee to fumble around. My hope is to find someone that had a similar problem and gain some insight and fix it myself. Dealers do not want to involve themselves with a tricky problem that consumes time and requires a positive outcome. To satisfy their monthly revenue goals, they want to fill their bays with high priced PM jobs that encompass no risk, ie: tire rotation, fluid change,battery maint. etc..etc... High shop rate, no return problems or sticky customer situations. I experienced the same problem with my Ford truck when it had ( in warranty) 4WD problems.