Is car safety technology replacing common sense?

Page 1 of 2
"Spending time this week in the all-around exceptional Volvo S80...has been an unmitigated joy. But truth be told, I'm feeling a little dizzied by the array of electronic collision-avoidance nannies looking
out for me as I drive..."
Wired Magazine article: http://301url.com/dyu

No, it is not replacing common sense.. Common sense has been extinct for a long time.
HLS wrote:

That's a myth actually, common sense has never been common. Sure, before the industrial age basic survival skills were more common, but the "Hold my beer (ale, mead, cider, etc.) and watch this" has been around pretty much forever.

....As "the guy at the end of the bar" mounts the bar, grabs the chandelier in an attempt to make like Tarzan and swing across the bar room and land on one of the pool tables, while instead learns he is too heavy, pulls the chandelier -AND 4 SQUARE FEET OF PLASTER- from the ceiling, and lands along with it on top of "chisel-chest" 4 stools away, who then proceeds to beat "the guy at the end of the bar" to a pulp with a piece of the chandelier!!
(I couldn't resist!)
....and then the whole damn place burns to the ground because the wires to the chandelier, sparking & smoking in the ceiling, ignite dry eighty-year-old wooden rafters. 34 out of 40 people presently in the bar die of smoke or fire, including a candidate for the city's mayor, whose campaign promises included eliminating grandfather laws which kept SPRINKLERS out of old pubs like this one in the FIRST PLACE!!!
(want some more?)
Car safety technology is attempting to compensate for other people's stupidity, for people who use cell phones for texting while driving, etc. It doesn't take much common sense to know that looking at where one is going helps avoid accidents.
It seems my safe driving record will be equalled by some fool in a modern car with out a clue of any drivng skills .Loud music texting arguing speeding no worries the technoledgy will compensate just like spell checkers eh?

Would be nice if it could jam all cell phones nearby. Maybe then people could concentrate on driving instead of talking. This would go a long way toward collision avoidance.

Chevy Man wrote:

A small nuclear blast in your trunk would create a nice EM pulse, accomplishing that cellphone chore, and likely give you some nice acceleration too.
@gmail.com says...

It would probably CAUSE collisions, as cell-phone users would suddenly divert the 20% of their attention normally applied to driving into frantically redialing the dropped call.
Now, if cell phones wouldn't work while the car was moving, THAT would help!
Java

Lol http://www.cell-phone-jammers.com/

Despite what the site says, they are illegal to use in the US.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=operations_2&id llular

The system can be only as good as the people who design it. I remember when ABS braking first came out they put them on commercial trucks first (mandated by Federal Law) and more than a few good drivers lost their lifes because of a flawed braking system. It got so bad that one State even went against the Feds and Ban the Trucks with the ABS system.... the brakes were releasing and guys just couldn't get stopped or the brakes wouldn't release at all and the driver would miss a few days of work while they tried to get his truck to move out of the parking lot. A few years later, after the 'bugs' were supposedly worked out, they started putting them on cars. That computer sensory stuff is dangerous. It might be just dandy if everything is working OK, but eventually it will malfunction and it could cost you your life. (just like airbags were killing short people & children when they first came out). That crap is why your $5000 plastic car sells for $30000.

Usually when the ABS system detects a problem, it deactivates itself, and you have standard brakes.
Have had ABS for years. No problems.
DAS
"80 Knight" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:wcGdnQAmtrh_AqfanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...
snipped-for-privacy@remailer.metacolo.com wrote:

I'm with you on your subject. ABS brakes yes, but stability control, etc. take away from me the things I do to recover a slip on snowy roads. I read an experienced driver saying he liked it because it allowed him to drive on the edge. That's his problem; on public roads he shouldn't be driving on the edge.
Lets face it, many of these devices are all about marketing, not additional value.

Stability control does things faster than you can. Electrons move faster than your brain or your hands and feet.
I was in a situation a few months back on the highway at about 65, wet road and a very hard swerve. Fact is, my other car probably would have taken me down the median sideways; the stability control allowed me to cut the wheel hard left, then hard right to avoid an accident. It did not take away the things I'd have done to (possibly) recover, it eliminated the need for them.
No matter how good a driver you are, stability control will react faster and pulse a single wheel brake, if needed, that is not possible to do with a normal braking system. If you truly thing you are better, push a button and turn it off.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

wrote in message

As well as I think the biggest benefit of these technologies is for less skilled drivers, which so far as I can tell, make up a large portion of those on the road.

IMO
As well as I think the biggest benefit of these technologies is for those drivers who are less skilled than they think they are, which so far as I can tell, make up a all of the drivers on the road.
HTN

Seems like the easier, cheaper and safer solution is to make it harder to get a driver's license, and easier for incompetent drivers to lose their license. The tolerance most states have for bad driving is unbelievable, especially in the southwest (California with it's complete lack of ability to enforce it's license requirements, Arizona with effectively permanent licenses...).
Just retest everybody every time their license renewal comes up, regardless of age or driving record. And make drivers licenses expire at least as often as registration tags, if not sooner.
Paul Johnson wrote:

Raise the test standard to the equivalent of a commercial class B, and ban automatic transmissions and you'll get the worst of the problems off the road...