Is fuel pump set an output set?

A few days ago, my car, Taurus 97, was stalled. I had Firestone check and they told me: Fuel pump set relay was burnt because fuel pump set output more ampera than it is supposed to be.
They charged me $50 for the relay and 324 for the fuel pump set + labor. Total is $610. I think I was overcharged.
I am wondering, why is fuel pump set an output one? I thnk it is an input set.
Thanks.
Steven Du
Can you clarify your question?

ford wrote:

trucks with dual tanks suffered this fate) can get old and draw too many amps and burn out relay.. they also usually damge the leads to the emergency fuel cutoff switch as well tho
never take a car to a dealer they do over charge people they just a rip off
Glad you feel that way, jimmy.... I'll remember that when you have a problem....
BTW... how'd you like to back that statement up with facts???