Is it bad to drive a thunderbird on the freeway in 2nd gear?

Is it bad to drive a thunderbird on the freeway in 2nd gear? taching 4200 rpm the engine was getting warm. didn't do it on purpose.

What engine? Driving my Escort at 75mph on the freeway would tach around that normally. I doubt you would do any damage even if it was a V8. I wouldn't do this often as over time it will wear out the engine faster because of the extra stress. John

It's not the best thing to do, which is why the ECM has safety's built into it. The ECM has both RPM and speed limits built into it to protect the power train.

snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net says...

Which year, which engine? As long as you are below the redline, it should be OK, at least for a short time.