is mondeo reliable?

I am thinking of getting a used Mondeo. could anybody give me some idea how reliable is this car?

I had a '98 Contour V6 5-speed that I bought new in Oct. '97. In 150k miles I had two problems: 1. Water pump failed at 78K. The vanes are plastic and they broke off. Car would overheat but no leak of coolant. 2. Wiring harness burned out at the junction box at 145K. There was a problem and recall for this on older models that was supposed;y fixed by the '98 model. This can be expensive.
I also had an oil consumption problem, but could never find a leak or sign of burning.
I will add that in 40 years of driving this was my favorite car of all time, and I have had 2 BMWs, 3 Volvos, an Alfa Romeo, and 3 VWs among those cars.
Larry
How would anybody in a NG possibly know anything about the car you are considering? Have a local mechanic examine the vehicle for you and follow his council, WBMA.
mike hunt
Michael wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

The OP was referring to a car model, not a car. Big difference.
How could anyone else's experience, good or bad, possibly reflect on any particular car like the one he is looking to purchase? Fifty people could tell him haw 'good' their car like it was, but how could anybody in this NG know how the ONE he is considering has been used or abused, or if it was properly maintained or not?
mike hunt
fan-jet wrote:

If a car model has a reputation for being unreliable in the first place, then the condition and history of any particular one of them doesn't much matter, does it ? You are likely to take a pass on it and find another model.

Even if what you believe to be true, were true, surely you don't believe that every Toyota, for instance, has a sludge problem as apparently some do since Toyota has extended the warranty on the engine to 8 years, unlimited mileage. Surely you don't believe that every Honda has a brake problem or a head gasket problem as do some? Why should one pass up a perfectly good edition of a particular Honda simply become some others had those problems with the ONE they owned? For every one who has a problem with any vehicle there are literally hundreds or even thousands that do not ever have that problem, or any other for that matter. How can anyone in a NG know what problem that particular vehicle may or may not have? Some suggest one stay away from the Taurus, yet I have seen thousands over many years in fleet service, run to 300K trouble free. Have a tech judge the ONE you are considering, still WBMA.
mike hunt
GCB wrote:

says...

review the problems or reliability and repair frequency of a particular model, and not a specific car. They ask previous owners about their experiences with that model. OK maybe CR wasn't the best example of unbiased reporting ;-(
--
I. Care
Address fake until
I Care wrote:

If you are buying a vehicle that is similar to other vehicles that have a high break-down rate, you have a higher chance of breaking down.
If you are buying a vehicle that is similar ot other vehicles that have a low-break down rate, you have a lower chance of breaking down.

You can't. But if you buy a car that is not as durable as other cars, then the car won't be durable, even if the owner babied it.
Jeff
That may be your opinion but you are suggesting one rely wholes on probabilities, that does not mean they will get ONE of the good ones. When one gambles the changes of winning a lot of money are slim but people do on occasion win millions. You may just as easily get get one of the bad ones that was abused and poorly maintained. My advice to have the ONE you are looking at evaluated by competent tech, rather than the experiences of others in a NG or magazine who can't possibly know anything about the ONE you are considering, still stands as the best advice.
mike hunt
Jeff wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:36:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Mike - you are right to a point. Definitely have THE CAR you are considering checked out by a knowlegable technician. However, If you are THINKING about a particular MAKE and MODEL of car, it is very smart to know what their repair history, collectively, has been. If, for instance, the first 2 years of a particular model production had a particular problem, which was remedied the third year, and replacement parts have been updated at that time, buying either a 3rd year production vehicle or one that has had the problem repaired since the third year, makes a LOT more sense than buying a year1 or year2 production that has not had the "upgrade" done.
Also, knowing, for instance, that a given Toyota or Chrysler model has had oil gelling or coking problems, might make you wary of that model - but if you found one with documented service records showing superior maintenance, you might buy it with a lot less worry. The old "for-warned is for-armed" is VERY true when shopping for used cars.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

point. Read the title of the post again .
PS I paid 500.00 for mondeo 2.00 Si