is the black plastic-looking cap the oil drain plug on a 4.6L engine

I want to change the oil on a newly purchased 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis.
The oil filter seems to have good access.
The oilpan drain plug seems to be
a black plastic-looking polygon sided cap on the driver side towards the front of the oilpan.
I don't have a lift or jack but I believe I can reach the plastic cap from underneath.
Is that the drain plug?
And is it hand loosened and tightened or is there a recommended tool (other than a kitchen pliers)?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Michael Eisenstadt