JD Powers Survey

Page 2 of 3

Mike
There are reasons why GM keeps losing money. It starts with quality. Yes, they are getting better, but markets are best at throwing away bad apples. GM is practically giving away their cars just to keep the inventory moving. This is not a good sign.
Dan
GMs problem is primarily a PR problem and the survey backs that up. What they were doing ten to five years ago is hurting them today. They need only convince todays buyers, of what we in the industry already know, that the vehicle they and Ford are building TODAY are among the finest available on the market TODAY. Many are the best in class, like the mid size Buick, Cadillac full size sedan, the small chevy truck and GM and Ford large trucks and the Ford mid size van for example. GMs and Fords vehicles are much less expensive to drive home as well. By getting more of them on the road, that fact will become apparent.
New vehicle buyers in the US replace their vehicle with another new vehicle in three to four years. The majority of those that roam the NG are USED vehicle buyer, not NEW vehicle buyer, their opinion of the used vehicle they bought does not mean a hill of beans to todays new vehicle buyers, in any event.
mike hunt
"Dan J.S." wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:52:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ptdprolog.net wrote:

Yeah, building the Lumina, a vehicle that ran like new until 150k+ miles, in 1994, is hurting them today.... Not the Malibu, which honestly has some of the crappiest brakes I've ever seen, amongst a host of other problems. GM is making some very poor choices, there is no reason the Malibu should have drum brakes on the rear in this day-and-age, the body roll on that vehicle is terrible, and the 170 HP rating is a either a joke or the drivetrain is so inefficent it absorbs 80% of it.
I was a die-hard GM guy, until I bought a 2002 Malibu, and relized how many small, annoying problems there are with it. This wasn't a lemon, it just wasn't the car one would expect for $22,000.
What you are saying, is to NOT look at GM or any manufacturer's track record when buying an new vehicle. OK then, what ARE we supposed to go by? Advertisements? Opinions of people that bought their vehicle last week? Salesmen? Some reliability study done only on 2 or 3 year old vehicles? Be real.

Where did you get this information from? Have any supporting documents?

Where did you get this information from? Have any supporting documents?

Says who? I doubt that you speak for all new vehicle buyers.
ping 204.186.170.224 PING 204.186.170.224 (204.186.170.224) from 192.168.1.100 : 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=1 ttl7 time$9 ms 64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=2 ttl7 time#5 ms 64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=3 ttl7 time10 ms 64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=4 ttl7 timeB3 ms 64 bytes from 204.186.170.224: icmp_seq=5 ttl7 time65 ms
--- 204.186.170.224 ping statistics --- 6 packets transmitted, 5 received, 16% loss, time 5013ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 235.345/457.040/1065.519/311.384 ms, pipe 2
snipped-for-privacy@ptdprolog.net wrote:

Mike,
When you try to open the hood on my father's 2004 Saturn, the handle feels like it is ready to break off. The rear seats are incredibly low and uncomfortable. The handling is incredibly bad. It is a 6 but drives like a 4 until you fill it with gas. It uses gas like a big 6. The rear window switches look like the front door lock switches. Overall a piece of crap.

Er, I've been hearing them say that for nearly 25 years now. "Really, the cars we build *now* are much better!" You can only do that so long before people stop listening. (As for me, I'll start paying attention when the Consumer Reports long-term reliability survey figures for Ford and GM consistently stay up with the best Japanese manufacturers. Those manufacturers were still well ahead of them on that measure, at last check.)

What are those frequent new car buyers going to do with the cars they replace? Unless they want to collect them on their lawn or keep expanding their garages, they're going to want to sell them or trade them in. And what will they be able to get for them? That depends on how much those used vehicle buyers are willing to pay. Which means that new-car buyers *should* care about how fast their cars depreciate (which is quite fast for many GM and Ford models), if they care about keeping their overall auto expenses down.
You might as well spend a little more up front for a better-built, more reliable car that isn't going to lose its value as fast, whether you're planning to resell it in a few years or keep it until the wheels fall off.
(Or, if you think that GM and Ford have had an undeservedly bad rep, then the smart move to save money is buy one of their cars at the 3-4 year mark for cheap. If they really are reliable, you should then be able to keep them for many more years, and save big bucks. But as for us, we've been happy with our now-16-year-old Toyota, and will probably get something fairly similar when it's time to replace it.) John Mark Ockerbloom
--
Due to excessive spam, the email address shown in this post is invalid.
If you need to reach me by email, see http://pobox.upenn.edu/~ockerblo /
John Ockerbloom wrote:

My buddy is a mechanic at a Toyota dealership, they're not as reliable as people think they are. They have just as many problems as other manufacturers. I don't subscribe to that mentality that most people believe jap scrap is more reliable than other cars. My wife's 97 ford contour has had not one lick of problem up until this weekend, I changed the water pump at 90,000k's. We have had it since 98. I just worked on a supra not more than two months ago which needed a new cam, worn lobes, warped head, so don't tell me that they're more reliable. Same goes for our Honda accord, replaced the cam at 130,000k's, again worn lobes. I quess they use cheap metal. I'm currrently trying a Hyundai sonota, and will never buy one of those again, nice looking car, but never again. All of these cars were a one owner brand new off the lot vehicles. I'm currently looking for a new car, and may go back to a European car, particular a German made car.
wrote:

check.)
expanding
off.
then
mark
razz wrote:

No car is going to be 100% problem free, but Toyotas and Hondas typically experience less non-routine problems than North American brands, especially if regular maintenance is kept up. But even with regular maintenance, North American brand cars tend to experience more non-routine problems, especially when they are at least 5 years old and/or the mileage gets up there. And this JD Power survey focused on (I think) 3-year old cars.
My '93 Accord has 223,000km (138,000 miles) and has been extremely reliable. My father and brother both have Corollas ('04 and '05) with about 30,000km (19,000 miles) each so far, and as expected, both have been reliable so far. But we have taken good care of our cars and kept up the regular maintenance.

Not all Japanese brands are reliable (especially Mazda, for example). But Toyota and Honda are typically more reliable than most others.

You've been lucky. I know a lot of Contour/Mystique owners who had lots of problems with them, including a few that had fires from under the hood.

Since it's a Supra, perhaps it was not well taken care of. The only common problem I am aware of (depending on the year) is the head gasket.

Since you appear to be in Canada (like me), I assume you are talking kilometers here? Anyway, that is rare for an Accord. But again, is it possible that it hasn't been well taken care of?

German cars are actually no more reliable than the others. Volkwagens are just plain junk, and apparently, Mercedes-Benz' quality has suffered since the DaimlerChrysler merger.

as
especially
North
especially
reliable.
far.
maintenance.
pump
of
common
We had it since brand new, bought in 86, got rid of that scrap pile in 91 with a 130 k's on the clock. started to rust out pretty bad to. All routine maintenance done by me ( worked for honda dealership at the time ). The shop was well stocked with vehicles in for repairs and tsb's all the time. Same as the Toyo shop across the lot from them at that time, no different from a ford or gm or chrysler shop. Had just as many cars going through the doors as any one else. And to this day, at the auto mall here in the city i see the shops full of cars, Toyo's, Honda's, Gm's Ford's, and so on. I see no difference in reliability or the number of occurances in these cars than from any others.

one
car,
That may be true, but I've had no problems when I owned a volks or Mercedes. But they were not brand new and were well into the hundreds of thousand of miles on the clocks, they were a 60,61, 65. My 190 my dad gave me as a grad present, had over 470,000 miles on the odometer, but I took the engine apart for restoration. I figured I refresh it, did not need it, but I wanted to bring this thing to brand new condition from a ground up restore. The hoses and lines needed replacing to get it like new again. To bad it burnt to the ground in a garage fire, it was a beauty, with ivory steering wheel and cherry wood dash, and wasn't insured. But it was a slug, barely moved, underpowered, but what a gorgeous looking car. Had no problems with it whatsoever.
razz wrote:

Just curious, how do you know that ALL of those Hondas and Toyotas you saw in the shops were there for something other than regular maintenance (not counting TSB's and recalls)?
Perhaps your Accord was a rare lemon? I still see a handful of late 80s Accords running today. A friend of mine put close to 500,000km on an '86 Accord with very few non-routine problems. He ditched it in 2001 when the rust caught up with it, but the engine (carbureted) and auto tranny were still all original and good.
Perhaps you have seen no difference in reliability, but I have.
Because I worked on them!

91
routine
shop
Same
from a

doors
see
no
than

No, MB has been junk for quite a while, no merger needed. German cars are not only junk, but ridiculously expensive to repair.
What gets me is VW puts out shit, yet has a retardedly high resale value.
Thanks for your inadequate insight, moron.

are
since
Bill 2 wrote:

Hey Bill, Not sure about newer VW, no experience. I've heard lots of complaints about MB, pre and post merger. One German vehicle that truly impresses me, though, is BMW. Granted, they are expensive in the US and Canada due to the Yuppie factor, but in Germany they are like Chevrolets (The impression I get from my German sister-in-law). The mechanical systems in BMW's, both 2 and 4 wheeled, seem to last nearly forever. I'm a die hard US vehicle(Ford) driver, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Granted, my personal experience with BMW is limited, but I've seen many with trouble free miles well into 6 digits. I also don't recall ever hearing a BMW owner complain about their car. BMW motorcycle owners seem to have nothing but praise for them. I've personally seen one go 12x,000 miles without any engine work whatsoever. Take that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and of course Harley Davidson. One Japanese car that really made an impression on me was Subaru.(1995 AWD Legacy) During a blizzard on the New York Thruway headed to Toronto from Cleveland, that car felt glued to the road (deep snow). When you pressed the pedal, it went. When you pressed the brake, it stopped. No wheel spin or brake lockup at all. I've never felt safer in severe winter conditions. I don't know about their reliability, but that experience would count if I ever considered an import. I like my Taurus and my Mark VII but I won't defend their weaknesses by tearing down other makes that I choose not to own. To each his own.

Depends on the model, and within BMW, you expect more (features/gizmos, ride comfort, and reliability) the higher in the series you go. The 3 series is considered by most other Bimmer owners as the "entry level" model, then folks work their way up with the packed dash 5 series, then gain some of the space back when they finally graduate to a 7 series. Sort of like going from the Cavalier to the Cadillac in GM terms. I knew a guy with a loaded 535 (I think it was a 2002 or 2003, that would spend his break and lunch time sitting in his, just start it up, run the A/C, and listen to tunes {or watch TV, I dunno, all I know is that you'd never find him in the lunchroom}). Gotta love the car to do that.
S.S. wrote:

hehhe yes mazdas are now shite ... can you blame them they are owned by ford

I even hate getting involved in this, but... the fact is that most of my family (and friends) drives old cars, old American cars. And guess what, they run, and well. My daily is a 1980 Bronco with so many miles I've lost track. It's absolutely unstoppable. But at 10mpg, fuuuuck. My dad has a 1985 Lincoln he drives everyday since new. That is the toughest, friggin car I've ever seen! It may rust, it may squeek, but at -30C, it starts. Always. The ex-wife has a 1990 Mustang. Talk about the Energizer Bunny of cars. Has anyone ever seen a 2.3 die?
I don't see many mid 80s Hondas on the road anymore. Where, did they go? Old American cars are everywhere. On the flip-side, all of ours are Fords. You can't say the same about Chev and Dodge. :)
I attend old car show all over the country and I seldom see any old Japanese cars at show with the exception of an RX7 or a "Z" on occasion. Where are those old Japanese cars from twenty years ago if there are so durable?
mike hunt
BradandBrooks wrote:

Exactly. Who cares to answer this? Maybe they're hiding somewhere?
Brad