JD Powers Survey

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:34:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I was browsing the junkyard yesterday and they had quite a few Z's in there, also a 66 Chevy and a 60 Corvair.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:33:06 GMT, "Art"

Pontiac Fiero, plastic crap.
GM sells over six million vehicles a year, surly you don't believe one can judge all GM products today by the one or two your friends owned fifteen year ago.
Perhaps you fiend should try buying a new vehicle for a change. After all did it ever occur to you that when you buy anything used you are buying something the original owner no longer wanted for some reason? ;)
mike hunt
GTD wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:37:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

You got all that from " Pontiac Fiero, plastic crap."?
Anyways, you are trying to win this argument by insult, you are wrong, and it is not working. Off the top of my head, I know of at least 30 vehicles bought new by friends and family.
BTW, I have, the last 3 vehicles. My current one, less than a month old, Is a Crown VicLX Sport, loaded and PAID FOR!

That is the only way to go, why pay interest.
mike hunt
-+
GTD wrote:

<snipped>
Pontiac Fiero
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Thanks..... a great car..... except for the engine fire. And that is a quote.

That's the way I see it too. I did not consider it much of a gamble to buy a new Range Rover and I have been rewarded by the most reliable vehicle over the first eight months that I have ever owned. In fact it is way ahead of my Toyota Land Cruiser over the same period which had a [difficult to sort] wheel alignment problem and needed a new fog lamp and drivers seatbelt in the same timeframe.
Huw
Huw wrote:

200k are u nuts .... motors have such short pistons in them here in the cold ares like canada the motor suffer from piston slap (slight knocking noise untill motor warms up) as soon as 60000 miles.... my dads 200 intrepid with 2.7 mits engine broke a timing chain guide ! 110000 kilometers thank god the chain stayed on or it would have been more than the 600 dollars of parts that i installed..... just worked on a 1991 buick today frame is about to fall apart from rust just in front of the rear trailing arms to the rear suspension. dont tell me they build cars better.... just imagine how long a mid 70's motor would have lasted if they all had the advantages of modern fuel infection.

We also use block heaters up here in Canada on cold nights. I frequently hear 10+ year old Plymouth Acclaims with 300 000km+ tapping away from piston slap (when warm) no problem. Piston slap is usually more of an annoyance than anything major.

14 year old car.

And how the body wouldn't.
Bill 2 wrote:

right .. my 1978 cordoba parked in the field wasnt parked because of body rot .... to much money for gas tho lol
Initial Quality reports are so stupid. Lets have a quality report after 5 or 10 years when it really counts.

Power
segments
in
second
100
Oddes,
reduction
the
HD
segment
vehicle
three

These particular ones are not initial, they are 3 year old.. which is still fairly short...
Most of people only keep their new cars for 3-5 years today.

reported
problems
brand.
Silverado
sedans,
not
2002

What are you basing this information on? I thought about this quite a while, and I know of nobody in the past 15 years that has gotten rid of a new vehicle within the time frame you described. Nearly every one of my freinds and close family have bought new cars at least once in the last 15 years, and I remember nobody getting rid of theirs that shortle after buying it. The only one that comes close is my Bro-in-Law, who's company gets him a new ride every other year.
This sounds like information put out by dealers to make people feel they have to go trade their vehicle in on a new one every couple of years.
I guess then you need to do some research. The average new vehicle buyer in the US replaces their vehicle with another new vehicle every three to four years. The average used car in the buyer in the US does so in two to three years. Over the past ten years an average of 16.5 million new vehicles are sold in the US every year. An average of only nine million are taken off the road every year. Personally, I run two cars and buy a new vehicle every year, and pass on to a family member, or sell off the one that is two years old. ;)
mike hunt
GTD wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:28:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Like I said, do you have any supporting documentation? I've looked and have found none.
YOU want ME to do YOUR homework? Ask your mom, perhaps she will do it for you...
mike hunt
GTD wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:35:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

As I stated, I have found no information supporting what you claim. You are expecting me to prove a negative, which is impossible. What do you want me to do, list all the websites that do NOT have documentation supporting YOUR claims. I'll take your lack of backup documentation as proof you are pulling figures from your backside. If you have supporting documentation, bring it out.
BTW, jumping to insults does NOT make you look smart or cool, just thought you'd like to know that.