Jim Warman PING

Jim:

Gotta do the heater core on my 93 5.0. Gonna take it to Ford. Anything I should look/watch for. As I understand it, they basically have to do everything but drop the tranny to get this $20 part out. lol...

Thanks as always.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

I haven't had the pleasure of doing one of these, Brad.... haven't even looked at the procedure in the manual (but I've suffered through a few other heater core replacements).

From the "git-go". there are two problems..... first is customer additions. I have to replace the blend door on my boys 97 Ranger and I know for a fact that pulling his dash isn't going to be nice. This kid is toy crazy. Word to the wise... if you add something, always consider the possibility that it may interfere with something that will need to be done down the road.....

The second concern is any squeaks and rattles that may be introduced during the repair. Some techs always seem to be able to have extra fasteners left over after the repair.. The first problem I mentioned occasionally has to do with this problem. Word to the wise.... don't keep phoning the shop to see how your "baby" is coming..... This will look like impatience and may cause the tech to "rush" the job. Rushed jobs will never be good.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

humm, hi Bradand, I have a heater core going out on my 92 buick roadmaster and I think it is a

Reply to
waterskiing greg

As always, Jim, thanks for the thoughts. :)

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Bars leak eh? Why not. I will try.

According to Jim, it's not going to be a pretty job (just who designed this car anyway?!).

Thanks Greg.

BradandBrooks

Gotta do the heater core on my 93 5.0. Gonna take it to Ford. Anything I should look/watch for. As I understand it, they basically have to do everything but drop the tranny to get this $20 part out. lol...

====> hi brad - if you take your time, you can do it yourself, but for the first timer, you will put in some serious hours.

but this might help you when you get the new heater core put in. put in the restricter that the police use on their heater cores. since the police engine will live it's life in the high rpm's on chases.

usually, the person who has the 5.0 mustang is going to put some higher rpm's on the engine, which raises the water pressure of the cooling system. the restricter acts as a cushion to block the shock and drop the pressure build up to the heater core. you remember the saying about the weakest link.... well, heater cores do rust out just like the main radiator core. so, the pressures don't play favorites.

hope this helps,

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer