Junk in power steering pump

Got a '98 Ford Windstar. When I was about to add fluid to the power steering pump, the little round cardboard that's underneath the cap fell in. I couldn't get it out and ended up draining the fluid. But I still
couldn't see it in there.
Could that little thing damage the pump? It's about the size of a nickel.
-larry
Larry, give this a try. with the engine off, turn the wheel back and fourth a few times and see if it will burb the carboard out. Get ready for a mess. You may get it out doing this, BeeVee