Just a quick question

I've been told the hesitation problem on my 3.8L V6 is caused by a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor. Now, as these are pretty expen$ive, what would happen if I disconnected the MAF Sensor from the air duct to the
throttle body? I would think this would be a good way to see if this particular part is bad without putting a new one in.
Let me know what you think!!
Gerri
Add pictures here
โœ–
Try it and see for yourself, WBMS

Add pictures here
โœ–

If you eliminate the MAF and the car runs like crap what have U learned ? sub a known good one then you will know if thats the problem
Add pictures here
โœ–

I'd clean it first then see.
Google for 'clean MAF instructions'.
Add pictures here
โœ–

I think you should inspect the MAF. If it's clogged up, you will be able to tell. It *can* be cleaned if necessary.
http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/article.cfm/ford_mass_air_flow_sensors
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t ‡453
โœ–
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:14:15 -0700 (PDT), Gerri

If the maf is the problem, a good cleaning will usually correct it. They seem to collect a bit of a coating from the contamination in the air over time. You will need a torx security bit to remove it, some residue free electrical cleaner and a cotton swab to clean the small wires. Be gentle with them. There are pictures of maf cleaning with instruction at many places on the net.
While your are cleaning, it would be a good idea to clean the throttle body with a good TB cleaner. An old tooth brush helps get the job done there. The TB usually has a tag telling you not to clean it. It has a yellow coating to resist deposits but after a while it, too, will become coated and obliterated. Ford sells a very good TB cleaner under the Motorcraft brand. Although I have never seen it in the aftermarket, it is probably out there somewhere.
Lugnut
Add pictures here
โœ–