K&N air filters, are they any good ?

Are K&N air filters any good. I have read much about them recently. In fact I have ordered one to replace my standard paper filter. I pick it up tomorrow $47 plus tax.

I.m not interested in more HP but the more air flow interests me with better combustion.

Your input appreciated.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Hope you don't tell Ford. They'll void your warranty. K&N's don't filter very well.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Denny B opined in news:l%7ed.4414$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca:

K&N's are ONLY claimed to be effective at or near WOT...That's foot-to-the- floor! Otherwise any decent filter will allow all the air the engine asks for.

So if you dont care about HP, it COULDNT do you any good.

  1. It's the MAF that determines combustion "efficiency" and with the K&N you have to clean MAF more often than the every 5 years or so that most are cleaned -if ever.
  2. YOu dont mention the car... but dont you realize that Ford designed the systems on all cars to obtain max efficiency so as to meet mileage standards?

The K&N is a reputable and viable product for HIGH PERFORMANCE modders who have altered the rest of their induction system to take advantage of such a product, but simply slapping one on to your taurus family car is just silly

IF you're interested enough to spring for an add-on like that without understanding how the systems work, you're going to be a sucker for every other add-on that comes down the road.

Like battery powered superchargers on ebay

Go to the library. Read the Probst books and those on modding the 5.0 and 2.3 to understand how engines work with FI

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You know not what you are talking about. Your warranty cannot be voided by using a K&N filter.

Reply to
mcalister

What car is it being put into? Unless it's more than 10+ years old or a low-end budget car, the filter is probably not a major factor. With the power race, manufacturers have made the intake and exhaust systems very efficient. Many simple bolt-on mods typically add only a few horsepower at best. That might be noticeable on a car that only makes

100-110hp, but on a 200+ V6 or V8, you won't notice it. Plus, you'll really only notice it at full or near-full throttle. Unless you carry or tow heavy loads, or drag race, you'll never notice it or get any payback from the higher cost.

Most of the claims you see are typically for older 60's/70's muscle cars and similar. Or people who replace a 5-year old clogged filter.

Plus, I believe K&N filters are oiled filters. You must be careful because if that oil gets onto the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor), it can clog or otherwise affect it, causing engine problems.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Um... Read your owner's manual (if you have a late model)

CJB

Reply to
CJB

HEre's an easy way to think about things like this.

If you could see into the throttle body of your intake system while you are cruising or just driving normally the throttle plate would look as if it was nearly closed... on one side of it is a vacuum, on the other side is air really WANTING to get in.

so it is the throttle that's restricting the airflow ..AND THATS WHAT YOU WANT!!!

With port fuel injection the fuel is WAY down the line so any "swirl" (as if it could make it past the intake hosing) has no effect on the mix at this point

If you dont believe me, borrow or buy a cheap vacuum gauge and hook it to the manifold... then watch it while you're driving... and note the filter can ONLY affect the engine when the gauge shows near zero

Denny B opined in news:l%7ed.4414$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I repeat ..... You know not what you are talking about. Your warranty cannot be voided by using a K&N filter.

Reply to
mcalister

Ever use google?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

He does know what he's talking about. All filters used on your vehicle under warranty must meet or exceed the original equipment parts. K&N air filters do not meet OEM specifications.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Gracias, Diablo

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I don't know either way to be honest (I drive a Taurus, why the hell would I put a performance air filter on it?). According to the website though (

) it says: a.. Replacement Air Filters for most cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV's, and more! a.. Designed to increase horsepower and acceleration a.. Washable and reusable a.. Will NOT void US vehicle warranty a.. Emission legal in all 50 US States a.. 10 year / million mile limited warranty

Like I said, I don't know either way, but it seems to me that if they state that on their website, and it turns out that they do void the warranty, K&N would be on the hook for any warranty work?

Reply to
Teknical

What would Clint Eastwood say about that? Do ya fell lucky fella? Well do ya? I sure wouldn't want to try and get K&N to pay a repair bill, they could afford to drag it out a lot longer than the average Joe.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Ford Motor Company released a statement at one point that did everything but name K&N. The gist of it was that while the law didn't allow them to specify a particular brand of filter be used, it does allow them to create a minimum standard that the filter must meet.

Same is true for oil, even though there are companies like Am Soil who try to confuse the issue. A manufacturer cannot say you must use a specific brand of oil, but they sure can say that motor oil must meet a particular viscosity and sae standard. Otherwise you could pretty much put molasses in your engine and the manufacturer would have no recourse.

Reply to
CJB

That is total BS. It will NOT void the warranty. A properly prepared K&N filters as well as the average paper filter - if it is the "direct replacement" type filter. The canless performance cone may be a different situation.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Doesn't mention anything in either my owners manual or factory service manual.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

The performance cones do not. The "direct replacement" elements DO.

At least the last one I bought did - and with a miniumum of service was still doing the job after over 240,000KM when I sold the van.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

You are 100% correct. A filter has to be pretty badly restricted to affect power at less than WOT on today's vehicles.

I had the K&N replacement filter in the stock air filter case on my Aerostar vans. I installed mine (on my first van) on a trip , pulling a 17 foot cabin trailer across country from central Ontario to BC, via the american midwest.

I think I got slightly better performance in the mountains with the K&N, but I really only bought it to avoid generating trash every couple months or every year throwing away a disposable filter.

I am, by nature, adverse to throwing away something that could still have some use left - or that could be replaced ONCE with something that can then be serviced and not replaced.

My vehicles always last well beyond the average lifespan because I take care of them. The filter went from my first aerostar into my last one, and as far as I know is still in it (sold the van over 2 years ago)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I have had two cars in 36 years, a 1968 Nova and now still my 1981 Ford Fairmont. I am the mechanic on my vehicle and have no interest and time for GIMMICKS. I am not interested in the K&N filter for more power nor for fuel economy. The construction of the K&N makes me believe more air will pass through as compared to the paper ( wood ) filter.

Stores love to sell you paper filters and keep you coming back and the car manufactures are only interested in installing minimum standard components and parts for the AVERAGE JOE (that's me) on their vehicles. To maintain your vehicle until the warranty has expired the car manufactures want to make maintenance cheap for you like paper air filters.

Do you think the car manufacturer can buy a K&N filter for 10 cents? If they could you'd have a K&N filter in your vehicle.

I am not interested in any special K&N air filter, I will get the replacement for my paper filter and fit the K&N directly into the filter housing. The size is exactly the same as the paper filter.

Denny B

"swirl" (as if

filter can

pulling

news:l%7ed.4414$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca:

recently.

Reply to
Denny B

That's what I've always done Benny and I salute you for your tenacity with cars.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us