K&N air filters, are they any good ?

Page 1 of 4
Are K&N air filters any good. I have read much about them recently. In fact I have ordered one to replace my standard paper filter. I pick it up tomorrow $47 plus tax.
I.m not interested in more HP but the more air flow interests me with better combustion.
Your input appreciated.
Thanks in advance Denny B
Hope you don't tell Ford. They'll void your warranty. K&N's don't filter very well.
CJB

You know not what you are talking about. Your warranty cannot be voided by using a K&N filter.

Um... Read your owner's manual (if you have a late model)
CJB

I repeat ..... You know not what you are talking about. Your warranty cannot be voided by using a K&N filter.

Ever use google?
CJB

He does know what he's talking about. All filters used on your vehicle under warranty must meet or exceed the original equipment parts. K&N air filters do not meet OEM specifications.
Brian

Gracias, Diablo
CJB

I don't know either way to be honest (I drive a Taurus, why the hell would I put a performance air filter on it?). According to the website though ( http://www.knfilters.com/ ) it says:
a.. Replacement Air Filters for most cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV's, and more! a.. Designed to increase horsepower and acceleration a.. Washable and reusable a.. Will NOT void US vehicle warranty a.. Emission legal in all 50 US States a.. 10 year / million mile limited warranty
Like I said, I don't know either way, but it seems to me that if they state that on their website, and it turns out that they do void the warranty, K&N would be on the hook for any warranty work?

What would Clint Eastwood say about that? Do ya fell lucky fella? Well do ya? I sure wouldn't want to try and get K&N to pay a repair bill, they could afford to drag it out a lot longer than the average Joe.
Brian
Ford Motor Company released a statement at one point that did everything but name K&N. The gist of it was that while the law didn't allow them to specify a particular brand of filter be used, it does allow them to create a minimum standard that the filter must meet.
Same is true for oil, even though there are companies like Am Soil who try to confuse the issue. A manufacturer cannot say you must use a specific brand of oil, but they sure can say that motor oil must meet a particular viscosity and sae standard. Otherwise you could pretty much put molasses in your engine and the manufacturer would have no recourse.

I would like too see this statement. Why don't you post it?

How exactly does using a K&N filter not meet or exceed the OEM specs? If the filter does trap more dirt and debris and let in more air, I fail to understand how it would not meet the requirements, if not in fact exceed the requirements.
That is like saying that using a synthetic oil would void the warranty because it exceeds the specs for dino juice.
Teknical wrote:

USENET READER wrote:

And where are you getting the idea that the K&N traps more dirt?
Ed

Why are you so adamant about K&N filters? If you don't like them, don't use them. You seem a bit too fervent.

Oh I don't know about that. It's on topic and a good discussion.
I just want to see some real hard evidence but no one is offering more than personal opinions )which is what I am doing actually).
A poster mentioned Crown Vics as example. Perhaps the driver is a knuckle dragging unmechnaical minded troglodyte that can't process reasonable instructions no matter how clearly written.
Some folks shouldn't be allowed to pump there own gas.
--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net
mcalister wrote:

I consider the K&N advertising to be misleading. The ads are just barely on the good side of Slick 50 and Splitfire Spark Plugs ads. I am just expressing my opinion. Take it for what it is. I think my opinion is well reasoned. You may not. But at least you heard a different opinion that the K&N advertising copy.
Ed

The performance cones do not. The "direct replacement" elements DO.
At least the last one I bought did - and with a miniumum of service was still doing the job after over 240,000KM when I sold the van.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Can you quote anything that confirms this?
Ed

Doesn't mention anything in either my owners manual or factory service manual.