K&N air filters, are they any good ?

Page 4 of 4
I,ve had two cars in the last 36 years, a 1968 Nova and a 1981 Ford Fairmont. They have been my daily drivers and I have been the mechanic. Also I am the bodyman and the painter.
A few weeks ago I did restoration bodywork and have epoxy primed the vehicle and thats how I will drive it for the Winter.
About six hours ago I picked up my K&N filter which I have installed and so far satisfied with.
From what I state above you should know I don't have a MAF nor do I desire to own a vehicle with one.
Denny B

recently.
pick
that'you're
version.
because
filter
MAF...
50k as

the air?

good, then

k!
before and

throttle
knock it

cleaning it

year,
cost of the

Thats fine... I didnt write that last for you, I wrote it for someone who might google the group for pros and cons, I think everyone should make such a decision with all things considered.
Since your engines are both carbed, I dont care... I been driving since 58 and worked on my own cars, off and on since then. If I ever have another car with a carb, it and/or engine will come out to be replaced with full port FI.
Thats MY geezer point of view!
Cheers
:)
Denny B opined

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:08:22 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

I never said ANYTHING about a waste of money. I said I don't like generating un-necessary junk.

Takes about 10 extra minutes to clean and oil while doing an oil change on the vehicle. The intake passages and Maf get cleaned once a year on my vehicles, regardless what filter is used.

Yes, I drive a fair amount on secondary roads which are often gravel surface. I also drive in the winter on highways which are heavilly sanded, as well as salted. That sand often stays around for a good part of the spring. The road shoulders are also gravel, and a lot of that fine sandy crap ends up on the road throughout the summer. It is not out of the ordinary to find a pretty good deposit of sand and grit in the bottom of the air filter housing at service time.

Check out this guys site, very interesting...a good read I think. He did some testing of air filters and K&N was one of them.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong; When he talk about color comparision, I think the darker the color the better the filtration because more dirt was collected on the filter.

-- The colored filter that you are referring to is BEHIND or downstream from the filter being tested. It is used as a second filter to see what passed throught the first filter. The darker the color, the more crap came through the first filter. The lighter the color, the more crap was trapped by the first filter. Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Wrong. The darkness is on the secondary filter and it measures the dirt that got PAST the PRIMARY filter. (I'm not shouting, only emphasizing) Thus, the K&N is under performing compared to the paper WIX or the two Miata and whatever filter.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow