Key chime

I have a 97 Ranger, and yesterday afternoon, I got one of those annoying little electrical quirk begin to happen. While I haven't experienced the "phantom wipers" yet, this one is much more annoying. I am getting the "key in the ignition" chime every time I open the driver's door, even with the key out! After making several stops in the last two days, it has only not done it twice. Now that I think about it, this chime did not work at all as of last week, when I locked the keys inside (in the ignition) when I went to work.

I really don't want to disable this, since I do have a knack for locking the key inside, but I also don't want to have to spend a lot of money fixing this either. It is just too annoying to live with. If the driver's door is open, then I hear the chime, whether the key is in or not.

Any suggestions anyone can offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
Gadourym

We had the same problem with a 96 Windstar. The explaination we got was that the sensor in the ignition switch is quite flimsy and if you have a lot of keys or heavy "stuff" on your keyring it will bend the thing. My wife does (did) have a lot of "stuff" on her keyring... Apparently this happens pretty often.

They fixed it under warrently as I recall, so I can't tell you exactly what they did or the cost.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Duller