KEY CODE FOR 93 CROWN VIC--NOT REMOTE CODE !

Foolishly, I lost the keys and cannot locate the key code from a previous owner and the dealer says it's too old to be in a VIN database. This is not for a keypad, but for making keys. What do you recommend? Is the code located on a door tumbler? Thanks in advance. Also,how do locksmiths make keys without knowing the code?

Reply to
septicman

Any dealership or locksmith can determime the cut from the key you have and cut another.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Uuhh Mike, she lost the keys.

You'll need to call a locksmith. Unless by some strange chance the metal tags that came with the keys are laying in the bottom of your glovebox or tucked into the folder with the owners manual. It can't hurt to look.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I guess I assumed nobody would be foolish enough to carry both sets of keys. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Seems to be a recurring theme on many forums... "lost the only key" - "lost all my keys" along with the usual moaning if it is a PATs system.

I don't understand the thinking that drives this "I've never misplaced anything in my life" idea.

For my "good" truck (with PATs - remembering I have access to a scan tool for key programming purposes) I have FIVE keys... one in my pocket, one in my loving brides purse, one in the holiday trailer, one at home and one in my toolbox at work (these three places being where I will more than likely be when I commit the unthinkable.

I have no idea how many keys I have for the "not so good" truck.... at least one at home, one in the kids pocket (if his dog didn't bury them again) even though he wont drive this one any more, one in my pocket and one in the truck.

Even with this many keys, there are times I leave myself wondering....

Once a car gets this old, the chances of the original selling dealer having the PDI sheet with key codes attached close to hand are slim...

Reply to
Jim Warman

The time to acquire an extra key is when you have two of them.. I normally ask for, and receive a third key at no cost, when I am about to sign my check for a new vehicle.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Quite right, Mike.... It is very sad to see so many people that don't have the skills to realize that there is a problem brewing.

From the person with only one key to any lock to the guy that drags his muffler along the ground for three months..... there has to be some way or some time that common sense gets to seep into the equation...

Reply to
Jim Warman