Key tip broke off ignition

Went to start my '88 Marquis and it turns out someones been screwing with the ignition. Looks like a peice of key down in there (maybe 1/2 inch worth) was blocking my key from getting into the ignition.

I haven't called a locksmith yet. Do I have to tear up the key housing to get this thing out? Or just what?... Thanks Guys.

Reply to
Do The Right Thing dtrt

Denton

Break a hacksaw blade, grind the back down to make a long thin strip with teeth on it. If you do it right the teeth will "saw" coming towards you. It will get the stub out.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

And if you dont HAVE a grinder, now is the perfect time to justify the purchase of a small angle grinder; Ryobi, Makita make good ones.

You'll find it's one of your handiest items in your tools.

Get one that takes most common 4 or 4 1/2 inch cutting and grinding wheels.

PS - you can grind with a cutting wheel but cutting with a grinding wheel is a PITA.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Mission Accomplished.

Believe it or not I was able to gingerly shimmy it out with two tooth picks, lol...

She had not been cranked in a year solid.

The key peice came out,I slipped in my key and cranked it.. she fired the first time and purred like a dream. It happened that my favorite song came on the radio as it crunk, heck, the fuel guage was even on

1/2... life was good... ;)

Thanks fellas

Reply to
Do The Right Thing dtrt