key transponder

I bought a transponder key for a 2000 taurus, tried to program it and now neither key works. Any ideas, I currently cannot start my car. thanks

Reply to
hhackworth

1) Call a cab. 2) Take both keys to the Ford dealer along with the VIN and registration. 3) Pray.
Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

In order to program a key without using a scan tool, you need to start out with two programmed keys... Since the car is programmed to accept the keys, you will need to have the car towed to the dealer to get everything back on track. Once you have two programmed keys in hand, I would recommend pruchasing a third and programming it in order to avaoid having any future concerns.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

lmfao 'what good would that do

better stick to beiing a nurse a good womans job

lmfao nurse get me a new bedpan

lmfao

u go girl

hurc ast+

Reply to
fordly863

As someone else said, you must have 2 keys programmed to be able to enable a blank yourself. It's part of the anti theft strategy in the anti theft module. Your vehicle is now "locked out" or disabled, also part of the strategy. If it was east for you, it would be easy for a car thief. The system disables the vehicle after a set number of trys with the wrong key. This prevents trying random correctly cut keys to start the car. The procedure at the dealer, although easy, is time consuming. The system is put into (I don't remember the proper name. Mr Warman?) security access mode. It must be in that mode for ~1hour before the system can be enabled again or a new key programmed. An interesting note: You don't actually program the key, you tell the anti theft module to recognise the key. Each key has a transponder that resonates at a certain frequency. You tell the module which frequencies to respond to and start the vehicle. (or disable the car, as the case may be).

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Before you pay for a tow and the high prices at the ford dealer check around for locksmiths that have the proper computer hookup to do this. The computer system they use is not much bigger then a big mulitimeter and is easily transportable. They could come to your house and redo the keys for you and it would most likely cost at lot less then the tow and ford dealer charges and it would be a lot less hassle. If you are not in or near a big city this may not be an option. I had a car done for $60.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher