KIA keyless entry on Windstar?

I need a new keyless entry, I searched on ebay by the FCC # and the only one that came up says KIA on it, think it will work?

Reply to
Petebert

i think the fcc # you are talking about is the one thats stamped on just about any remote control object.. its the fcc law number, nothing to do with the bandwidth of the signal or such.. probably on one for each car, and other radio control stuff..

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Thomas Moats

that would be it, mine has a panic! button too...

Reply to
Petebert

Jim, you are referring to the Part 95 designation.

The Fcc ID number does in fact identify the radio circuitry uniqueness.

The most common examples you may be familiar with would be two completely different appearing VCR's from different "manufacturers" (brand names) with perhaps similar features. If the FCC ID number is the same, then they are actually made by the same company and are essentially identical in age and operation, except for locations of buttons or displays, a missing or extra feature or two (and the remotes would be interchangeable too). Think along the lines of Radio Shack or Kenmore branded items versus the manufacturers own brand (GE, Panasonic, Uniden, Sony, etc.).

It is easy to believe that Ford does NOT manufacture its own radio equipment for keyless entry. The OP seems to have discovered this quite readily.

The question then becomes, why mess around dealing with a KIA shop and probably pay extra, as opposed to just walking in to a Ford store and getting exactly what you need? A quick web search will turn up some Ford parts discounters, too.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

for $35 you can buy a new keyless entry system with two new remotes at

Im Right

how do you know they are compatible? I was told before that the FCC ID number has to match. Mine is GOH-3BFM2497

Reply to
Petebert

Given that Ford outsources virtually everything and has sold KIAs under its name before, it's not surprizing.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Ever see the Kia van? Almost looks like a Windstar (not that I think it is one)

Reply to
Bill 2

the KIA thing on ebay is a buy now for $20, nobody has bid on it, I only need one, my other one works but the plastic has broken and it wont fit on a key chain, I cant find any on the web cheaper, the seem to sell for $50+, maybe you get 2? the second keyless entry isnt a huge priority of mine, its been broken for about a year I check on ebay from time to time, this is the second time I saw a KIA on there, more rare to find a Ford one with my FCC #

Reply to
Petebert

Reply to
Thomas Moats

im trying to do it the cheap way

Reply to
Petebert

Reply to
Thomas Moats

For $20 on Ebay, I'd try it. If the FCC number is right, it should work. You will need to train the car to recognize the new remote. I bought a couple for my CV on Ebay - I think they were for Mercury cars, but they work. My car came with a peanut shaped remote and you can only buy square ones these days...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

I think i will, if it dosnt work i could resell it.

Reply to
Petebert

Try this link for ebay and if your remote LOOKS like this one it will work!!!!! I know it says the fob is for a focus but Ford only has like 4 different types. You can almost be certain by the physical appearance of the device. I recently purchased 2 fobs on ebay that stated they were for a mustang and a focus but they both work on a 03 Expedition. If the new one looks EXACTLY like the original it is most likely the same.

Scott

Peterbert here are a couple of more options for ebay

5 button remote for power door
Older windstar style remote
When you are on ebays site search using "descriptions" and use the phrase "windstar keyless remote" and you will get dozens of returns.

Reply to
Scott

Ford used to sell Code Alarm brand under their brand name. They have a lifetime warranty. You can get it replaced over the parts counter at the Ford dealership. You might have to try more than one dealership, I have had those replace free. The box in the car too.

You need the right one, forget fooling around with this. The coding has to be the same, and there is no reason to think anything that is "wrong" would work. I wouldn't count on the FCC ID having anything to do with the coding. It has to do with the radio part.

Reply to
steevo