knock sensor location 97 crown vic 4.6

I recently had to replace the intake on my 97 crown vic. while doing that I noticed there was NO knock sensor in the valley. there was a spot that looked like it should be machined out to have one, but nothing there. also were no wires leading into the valley, I was concerned that it might be in the rear of valley so I looked for wires. only thing there was the coolant tube and there was nothing under that also.
My question is where else would it be, the dealer I bought it off (Ford) could not find any manual reference stating any other location for it.
-- Dave MacLeod remove the "1" to reply snipped-for-privacy@midmaine1.com
To the best of my knowledge, there is no knock sensor in the 97 CV; at least not in the civilian version.
I was wondering if this was the case. thanks
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply
I am getting spark knock. cleaning MAF did not help. ECT, ACT, EGR, Fuel pressure all good. I will try colder plug next, hot and humid weather is the worst and gas grade makes little difference. thanks
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply
I'm not sure, but I would think that might affect it due to heat on the front intake runner. no matter what it probably should be fixed though. I also have belt driven as well as electric for the AC. let it idle for about 1/2 hr and fan should turn on during that time, I had to do it this way because I was never able to hear the fan, I do mostly interstate driving.
did you also check fuel pressure and pressure regulator? I have been told its one of the items commonly overlooked when diagnosing this issue.
I double checked mine today before buying the new MAF and key on engine off pressure was 35psi, key on engine running at idle was 30psi and open throttle while running was 40psi. disconnecting pressure regulator at idle was 40psi and did bog the engine slightly. also tested pump check valve, turn key on, waited 10 seconds, then key off and it held the 35psi for 30 minutes with no drop.
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply

The colder plug might help.. but...Sounds a lot like Combustion chamber carbon buildup to me...
Do you ever let that horsie run? Or do you always drive it conservatively?
And what brand of gas do you use?
You might ask your local law enforcement person if they have that problem and what brand they use.
replacing MAF fixed it. tried cleaning again yesterday and got better results that lasted 1 day. so I replaced it today, no knock, more power, and I expect it will slightly help mileage.
as far as gas, all brands and grades were doing it and this horsie runs a lot. that's why I was so concerned about the knock. the knock started about a year after I got the vehicle so I had a baseline to work from there. when I had replaced intake I checked egr passages on old manifold and they were clean, so of course new one was. I used that to rule out the egr system. I changed plugs about 3 months ago and even with 50K on them (original per previous (initial) owner) so I had to guess (correctly luckily) that chamber was not in to bad shape as far as carbon. previous owner also got into it at least once a week. I had checked with the dealer that services local sheriff vehicles, they are all 99 and up and had knock sensors, I figured I could not use anything from them as a baseline.
I had suspected MAF was the problem but I needed to rule out the other 5 or 6 systems that could also affect this, the biggest obstacle was determining if it was supposed to have the knock sensor or not.
Thanks all
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply

Hey Backyard, that's a great idea! I'll do it soon and report back. Thanks!
PoD

little rich. Swapping the old with a new will tell for sure.
I'm sure swapping it would tell but I'm cheap! There are no codes at present but the ping is annoying. I like to put my foor in it once in a while, yaknow?!!
I'm not too worried about it yet, my cash flow tells me a new MAF will wait a bit, anyway.
Thanks for the tip, tho.
PoD

Hey...if you have rattle at wide open throttle, that's serious.
Many MAF/ping problems manifest at tip-in, meaning slight acceleration from cruise... but you dont hear it at WOT because engine goes closed-loop and sends richer mixture for safety.
My prev. Tbird had occasional pinging at WOT in really hot weather, but always on tip-in when temp was over 85.
Solved with a used MAF from same series... I lost about 1/2 mpg though. I got it from a guy who was parting out, but I would think they are relatively cheap at salvage.
Here's something else to look for... check the ducting and screen just ahead of the MAF.. anythng that causes disturbance in flow can result in unequal airflow across face of the maf; ie, lower relative flow into the sensor tunnel.
Thanks Backyard! I will try to get in there today. I appreciate all the tips.
PoD

I was getting it mostly at WOT (remember, I said I let the horsie run....) from mid rpm range and up. this is what confused me most and didn't immediately point me to MAF. tip in was not bad unless it kicked down and unlocked TCC, then it started as rpm came up. that's why I spent so much (wasted) time determining if in fact there was a Knock Sensor on this year crown vic. been running a few days with new MAF, no ping from 0 to 120 mph yet...seemed to have gained a little fuel mileage and can tow a trailer full of lumber at 80mph with no ping also.
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply