Knocking sound from car

I have a knocking sound that is seemingly coming from the nearside of the car.
When accelerating, changing gear the noise sometimes happens. I can
force the noise to happen if I accelerate heavily. The noise appears to occur when the front of the car is dropping back down after being forced up due to acceleration.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
maybe suspension , knowing what car it is would help,but many shops like big o give free inspections and estimates of suspension
It's a UK Ford Escort 1.6 1994.
Have had a goosey at the suspension with the car jacked up and can't seem to be able to feel any play anywhere. Pushing the suspension down doesn't make the noise either.
Cheers.