Late Model Mustang Values

    I have been dealing in vintage automobiles for many years. I can tell you within a few hundred dollars what most classics will bring in the
current market. However I am apparently badly out of touch with late model pricing.
I took in a 2001 Mustang GT a few years back in trade. It was a very clean, nice car, so I kept it and my wife drove it. We are in central texas and everything here is 100 miles away so mileage piles up fast.
This year I decided to sell the GT and checked the NADA and Kelly book trade in values. It needs tires so I knocked 500 off the book and listed it for sale.
Then I started checking recent comp sales. I was floored. The only ones that were selling were around 50% of book. Some approaching 60% but nothing near trade-in book value. I know when a new model comes out it generally hurts the previous series, but this is ridiculous.
Has anyone else run into this on late model stangs?
L.C.
www.myspace.com/lchristianmixon
Look for the "Investing in Vintage Autos" DVD series,available soon!
-

Everything from 1979 to 2004 (sure they grow on you, but they are still ugly) took a HUGE nose dive in value when Ford came out with the gorgeous 2005+ body style... Who in their right mind would buy one? Even the 2003~2004 Cobra's are going cheap, and the have arguably one of the all time best engines Ford ever built (stuffed in an ugly body)...
Life is too short for an Ugly Mustang...

I guess I am in the minority. I didn't care for the 79-98 models but the last series where they squared off and got some edges, I thought were quite good looking. The new ones have great styling,but the over use of chrome plated plastic has really turned me off of them. Of course I am an old car guy, give me polished stainless any day!
LC
-
I only got 1700 for my old 89 LX 5.0, and it was in perfect shape.