Leaking Water Pump

Hi Folks -
I changed the tranny fluid and filter in my '93 Cougar today. It has the 3.8L six and about 115k on it. I noticed while prowling under it that there
seems to be slight leakage coming from the weep hole in the water pump. It was basically dry even tho it was fully warmed up and pressurized but I smelled it and saw a trail and a bit of green in a few places. I know it's time for a new pump and probably fan clutch, thermostat, and hoses.
I really want to wait a few weeks to do this job so I can do it myself. The problem is that I have some road trips planned in between. One is a 5-hour each way trip and the other is about 3-hours each way. Any ideas if I can safely put this job off if I watch coolant levels and temperature closely? There appears to be no play in the pump shaft.
Maybe I should dump in some Bar's? A can of pump lube? Holy water?
Thanks for your input, folks!
PoD
The effects of holy water will depend on your particular religious convictions. Anything else is a waste of money, I am afraid. It's typically the sign of a shot bearing. Once you loosen the tension on the belt, you'll be surprised to see how much wobbling is there... From you description it sounds like you can still drive it, if you keep a close eye on it, but I would replace before a long drive. Who wants to be stranded a couple hundred miles away from home? Don't try to save $10 by buying a reman. If you are doing the job yourself, note that at least one of the bolts sits in the water jacket and must be coated with pipe sealant, or it will rust and seize (check the manual to see which one).
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul of Dayon" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com ...

coming from the weep hole in > the water pump. It was basically dry even tho it was fully warmed up and pressurized but I

it's time for a new pump and

temperature closely?

Thanks HT, I figured as much. As far as a reman goes, I checked a couple of parts barns online and new ones from Cardone and ASC are significantly more than reman but a New Duralast (AZ) is $1 more than a reman.
PoD

Well good luck.
I've changeed two water pumps in the last six months.
the first, Aerostar, 3.0, never put a spot on the ground but came totally apart on I 70 in the middle of a 50 mile trip.
The second, my TB 3.8, previously left no spots but I came out one morning to find about 2 quarts on the ground.
I was scheduled in Cols in the afternoon so a quick trip and fairly uneventful change and I left the house only a few minutes later than I had planned to... and found a big jam on 70 as I started to get on..
If I had left on time, with that pump leaking at all, I would have been in the middle of it with no way to get off.....

you pay..DEAL with it!
Paul of Dayon wrote:

Skip the Bars Leaks, pump lube, it can plug the heater core very nicely. Holy Water will work vastly better. The pump seal is leaking slightly. It could last for your entire trip or for 6 months, or for 1 year, or ...... dump all of your coolant half way into your planned road trip. Do you have the faith??

Feeling lucky?
Thanks for all the info guys. I think my luck is OK... but I haven't won the lottery yet. Pushing my luck like that scares the **** out of me. I will be visiting my friendly parts guy today...
PoD
Whoda thunk you'd need to remove the power stering pulley to change a water pump. Whoda thunk you have to use a special tool to get said pully off and a different special tool to put it back on with?!?...
The brace that goes between the water pump and steering pump is held on with bolts behind the very close fitting pulley. The pulley is plastic. The pump doesn't like any in/out on the shaft. Geezz.
I am usually quite happy with the improvements made to modern autos... but sometimes I have doubts...
Oh, it's the ;93 Cougar 3.8L. Now I have to wait for the other car to come home so I can visit the mega-barn O parts again....
At least I can warm up a bit - it's cold in Dayton today.
Thanks for letting me rant....
PoD
Paul of Dayon wrote:

take plenty of coolant and drive wherever u wanna go ..... just keep in mind coolant leak passes thru the bearing so it could last for hundreds of miles of go in 10...