Lean Fuel Mixture on 1995 Ford Thunderbird can I manually adjust Air/Fuel Mix?

I have a 1995 Ford Thunderbird - it has 82k miles.

3.8L - 6 cylinder

I recently started to experience a lack of power when I try to accelerate from stop (for instance when I hit the gas at a stop light, the car seems to lack accelerating power).

I purchased an inexpensive Engine Code reader and it gives me the code for Lean Fuel Mixture. (That was the only fault it gave. Tested it a few times).

I checked the spark plugs - they all have a chalky white appearance. Would this confirm lean fuel mixture?

I have since replaced the Spark Plugs, distributor cap and distributor rotor.

The Fuel Filter was replaced 3 years ago. Do you think I should replace that also.

First does this sound like a a Lean Fuel mixture problem from what I described above?

Suspecting it is a Lean Fuel mixture (the engine code reader said it is so I only assume that's true) - Anyhow if it is a lean fuel mixture can I manually adjust the air/fuel mixture? I recall that it used to be possible on old cars to do so, but I do not know how to do so on Fuel Injected engines?

Any other advice on what to test, check, or replace?

I appreciate any help and advice, I literally have no one to ask for help in this matter.

Thanks alot in advance.

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

The first thing I'd check is fuel pressure. If you pull the vacuum hose off of the regulator and it's wet inside then you should replace it. Otherwise get a pressure tester and check the rail. The other possible culprit is the O2 sensor. What was the exact code description? If it was something like "failure to switch" then I'd look there. I don't know if that engine is speed density or mass air

- mass air has a sensor on the intake duct - but there is a remote chance either the MAP or MAF could be giving bad readings.

Since you first noticed the problem at high load then I would also check the vacuum lines for breaks or cracks.

Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

You need to post the exact code and message. There are several that may involve lean fuel mixture. Without any further info than you posted, I would replace the fuel filter and clean the MAF sensor. There are instruction with pics several places on the net. If that does not correct the problem, you likely have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut