left U-turn, loud clunk, right side

99 Windstar 87k

got this possibly new thing, not sure I dont make u-turns too often, but I made 2 within the last 2 days, about 3/4's of the way through one I get a clunk from what sounds like the right front, a mile later I found an empty parking lot and tried both left and right turns but it wouldnt do it again but it did do it 2 seperate days. One of these days I will get it up on a lift and begin shaking things, just wondering if anything comes to mind for anyone from my description.

Reply to
Petebert

Do you have the wheels that have the "liner" to keep the brake dust off the outside of the wheels?

I bought my wife an 03 Expy with these dust "liners", when I made a hard right turn, it sounded like the left front wheel was gonna fall off!! I took it to back to the dealer, the mechanic "adjusted" this cover and it has not done it again.

bamp

Reply to
bamp

On each lower control arm is a strut that goes forward to the engine cradle. I recall a TSB regarding loose bushing "pockets" in the cradle.

If you have access to a MIG welder, the fix is simple. Remove the nut and outer bushing, clean and prep the area and weld the "pocket" to the cradle using 3 evenly spaced beads about 3/4 to 1 inch in length.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

With that mileage, I would also check the tie rod ends for play.

Rodney

Reply to
rodney

rodney opined

If you got a tie-rod that goes "clunk" at 5 years and 87 k, you better call a tow truck!

Your freaking rack is about to fall off!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

lmfao u are a tard

hurc ast

Reply to
you go girl

I think everyone here knows who the tard is....

Did your folks have any children that lived???

Reply to
Jim Warman

lmfao weld weld weld lmfao dont listen to warman he is a tard first ISOLATE the noise

4 tsbs are possable strut bearing lower sping cover inside strut and strut link and control arem the last and the one warman suggests is prolly not it as this tsb was more a problem on earlier models IE 1995

hope this helps tell warman i want mine supersized

oh yea only a tard would weld without a surge protector but hey what do you expect fron a guy that uses a chain to pull a lower control arm

lmfao

hurc ast

Reply to
you go girl

Awww, don't pick on our mascot. He's the pro-abortion poster child. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins