Lincoln Aviator Navigation System Modification

Does anyone have any idea how to modify the Ford navigation system so that: 1.) the splash/intro screen telling you that you cannot type and drive at the same time (and you must agree) no longer appears
2.) modify the system so I can type while driving
Thanks.
What a great idea!!! That way you should know exactly where you are when you cause that accident....
Make something idiot-proof and tey design better idiots..

I hate to state the obvious, but he may not want to type on it while HE is driving...what if there is a passenger in the car and he wants the passenger to be able to type in an address while he is driving? That would be perfectly safe, and perhaps even more safe than pulling off to the side of the road and having to risk pulling back into traffic.
Without reading between the lines..... without putting words in anyones mouth.... looking at this quote "2.) modify the system so I can type while driving" in it's purest form..... it makes a statement... one statement.... I am not assuming anything other than this person has made the statement of his/her choice.
The only thing worse than pulling an injured or lifeless child from a wreck is having to do it at Christmas.... Drivers already succumb to far too many distractions to add more to the mix.

Point taken. He did say "I". And I do agree, that the risks of the driver using the system while driving merit the system having the restriction in place. I was just trying to point out one instance in which the device could be used safely while the car was moving.
Jim Warman wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Get somebody to hack the code out of the ROM, figure out how to modify it, then figure out how to get it back into the nav system. Then keep lawyers on retainer to protect you against the lawsuit when you run over sombody while driving while distracted by typing.
<<snip>> Then keep

It seems that here in South Carolina, you CAN run over someone and get away with it. Last month, a woman talking on her cell drifted off the road onto the paved shoulder and struck a cyclist, killing her immediately. She later said she WASN'T talking on her cell, and all she got was a ticket for "Driving too fast for conditions." Another case a few months ago was when an 18 year old driving a pickup suddenly swerved across 4 lanes of traffic, pinning another man against a guard rail in his own pickup. While trying to cut the man out of the wreckage, he bled out before they could get to him. The last I heard on the news or read in the paper, no charges were filed at all- it was just an "unfortunate accident." I know a number of lawyers in town (2 of them judges), and they all say the same thing- unless the person is drunk or stoned, there's not a lot can be done against them. And 007 had a license to kill? There's something bad wrong when someone can kill someone else like that and get off with 2 points on there driving record.
SC Tom

Excuse me, that should be "their driving record."
SC Tom

possible $100.00 yearly increase in their insurance.for 3-4 years :-)
But seriously people (all of us) don't devote the attention to driving that it merits. Tell me you've never eaten while driving or looked at something/someone off the road or even taken your eyes off the road to adjust your HVAC / Radio? Cars are Lethal tools and more people are killed by their own stupidity than kill others with their stupidity.
If I was this original poster and wanted to adjust a navigation system while crossing the praries at 55MPH or stopped at a red light or in traffic I would buy a pocket PC that offers that function and leave OEM as is. This would also allow them to be familiar with a system that could be used in Rental vehicles.
I do believe the implications have been already covered in detail so I won't touch those aspects
Driving while being incredibly sleepy is another real hazard. I saw an ad a while back for one of the european automakers who were making a seat that vibrated the user briskly whenever it detected that someone's head leaned forward to sleep.
joe schmoe wrote:

Jeremiah Greer wrote:

Railroad locomotives in the US use a system similar to this. It monitors various operator inputs (throttle, brake pressure, etc) and sounds an alarm if it doesn't detect normal changes in the inputs.It gets progressively louder until the engineer hits a button to signal that he is awake (or alive). If he doesn't respond, the system will gradually slow the train to a stop. Not exectly what you would want in a car, but the concept is the same.

There was also, a while back, a device that fit over a driver's ear (similar to a Bluetooth phone) that would sound an alarm if the driver's head leaned forward more than a set angle. It was designed mainly for over-the-road truckers, but I don't think I ever saw one in use. But now I guess the wireless phones and wired headsets would get in the way of wearing one.
SC Tom