Lincoln CD changer

I'm a caveman who's never had a car with a CD changer before now, so bear with me. The 10 disc changer in my '97 Lincoln Mark VIII (I believe it's a
Sony changer mated to the JVC head unit) plays great...until I hit a fair sized bump. Then, rather than skipping (which I would expect and tolerate), the cartridge seems to disengage. I get a "no disc" error on the display.
What's the most likely problem? A bad cartridge? The previous owner had jammed the cartridge in upside-down, which I had a stereo shop correct. Can it be the changer itself, when it seems to do what it's supposed to do (until I hit a big bump, that is)?
I know this may not be the best forum for this problem, but it seems to be the best one for good answers!
forget fixing it......just buy a new one

tolerate),
Can
Looks like you said...

Check the Sunday papers for sales at stereo dealerships. Sears prolly has 'em too. You can get a new one, installed, for less than repair costs and it will have better stability and more features. Matter of fact, I'd bet $.75 cents you can get NO parts or repairs for your stereo.
Some years ago. someone stole the cd/radio out of my wifes Honda. The dealership replacement cost was !!!!!!!940.00!!!!!!!!!!
Just for a kick, call your Lincoln dealer and ask for the price on a replacement stereo. Be sitting when you call.
No way in holy hell would I bother with a Linc dealer. My blood pressure's high enough from stress and ripoff artists, living in NYC. I foresee $1500 for a $150 Sony changer. Thanks for answering. You're probably right, better to just buy a new changer. But I found today that Crutchfield sells replacement magazines. I don't know why I didn't think of them sooner. I'll call them and ask they're opinion. I've found they're usually pretty honest, and very knowledgeable. Like you said, worst case is $150 for a new, better changer. It's just my habit to strain for the cheaper possibility until the bitter end.