Lincoln Ls 2001 headlamps always on when set to auto

Hi All,
My 01 ls headlamps are always on when they are set to auto. They turn of when the key is removed and the prescribed time has passed as set by the dial as they should but for some reason don't sense its day
light. Any ideas, maybe just a bad sensor on the dash?
<Billy Goat> wrote in message

Do your dash lights dim at night? Sounds like normal operation.
It is designed this way as a safety feature. You have daytime headlights for the same reason as motorcycles do, so more idiots see you.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 21:26:47 -0800, "Dick Cheney"

No my dash lights dim during the day when switched to auto as the headlamps come on as if it were night, so you cant see the interior dash, radio etc. When I manually switch the headlamps off the interior dash/radio brightens as it used to. This car does not have DDRL. Some thing is broken and I am wondering if someone else had a similar problem and a solution.
Thanks
says...

Double-check where the sensor is to make certain nothing is obviously blocking it, or it's not just dirty.
I had a similar issue with my 2000 Sable. It was just the connector to the sensor had worked loose. It also affected the automatic climate control, because it also uses that sensor as a sun load sensor. There was a procedure in the manual to run a test on the climate control to check the sensor, which failed.