Lincoln LS

I have a '99 Buick Regal LS and am in the INITIAL stages of looking at a Lincoln LS used. Preferable 01-03.

I heard the '00 model is not up to snuff in some areas. And I know the '03 model started with the Variable Valve Timing and the V8 up to 282 hp.

Anybody have thoughts on the LS in general? Good bang for the buck? Any opinions would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael Sovitzky

I just bought a new one 2 months ago. Did a bunch of research first. Concluded it was a great bargain. Fit and finish in mine is excellent. It feels exceptionally solid, especially after driving a Nissan for 2 years. The gear ratios on the 5-speed auto are perfect for performance. I think you will find it to be a massive step up over the Buick.

It fits logically between a BMW 5 series and a Lexus, with some of the road holding and response traits of the BMW and some of the luxury of the Lexus.

There are a bunch of recent articles calling the '04 LS a sleeper and a great value in a luxury sport sedan, and with some of the dealer's deals it is. I have seen $10K off on new V8's in this area.

If you check the most recent Consumer Reports you will see very favorable ratings for the LS in both the luxury sedan category and the upscale sport sedan category. In 2004 car issue Consumers rates it above the BMW 7 series, all Infinitis (even G-35), Saab 9-5, Volvo 980, etc. Reliability is greatly improved also.

The down side is that it is an older design. Resale value is average or lower. The future of the LS in Lincoln's lineup is unclear. Lincoln does not market it well either. To me the LS is not a stepping stone to a Towncar. They are different cars completely. I love the LS, but have no desire for a Towncar. The LS is a gem that Lincoln does not know what to do with.

The new Lincoln Zephyr comes out next year as an entry level Lincoln based on a Mazda 6 platform. It will eventually have an AWD option and have a 3.5 V6 and

6-speed automatic. All Fords will get the 6-speed eventually I believe. The Zephyr could be seen as a stepping stone to an LS though.

The changes in 03 to the LS were significant for V6 and V8 in terms of engine performance, transmission tuning, structural rigidity, and minor aesthetics. The 03-04 cars are more desirable than the previous, but the older ones are still excellent. Don't sell short an 03 or 04 V6. This is the highest specific output 3.0 litre engine you can buy in the US.

Great owners club too with lots of valuable information and products, Go to

Larry

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

After owning five new Lexus V8's and watching the selling price jump for 38K to 57K, I decided to shop around the luxury market. I price them all and bought a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 in 1999 for 37K. I saved enough to also buy a new Mustang GT convertible as well. I was so satisfied with the LS, I bought another LS in

2002 and I now own a 2004 LS V8. I just returned from a 2,800 mile trip throughout the south and averaged 28 MPH running 70 and 80 MPH! Great cars reasonably priced and the Lincoln dealers does not take me for granted as did the Lexus dealers...

mike hunt

Michael Sovitzky wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson