Lincoln Zephyr & Lincoln LS

So what the hell is this thing. I saw one parked out in front of my house the other day.
Looked like a beefed up Mazda, or a shrunk down dodge magnum.
Thing is, I don't like it. I kinda look at it as a replacement to the long gone LS, which i finally recently had a chance to drive. What a beautiful car. I can't imagine why the production of the LS ever stopped and this Zephyr began. I guess they really aren't comparable, MSRP is about 10k less on the zephyr.
What was the target of these Lincoln Zephyr's, and why would they steal a model from Mercury and throw it at Lincoln. What is this, a stolen luxury compact car from 1980?
I dunno, with so many other options in a FWD 3.0L small-mid size car, I can't see very many people turning to Lincoln's 30k priced model.
My vote would have been with the LS.
GOOD JOB LINCOLN -- YOU FRIGGED UP. Maybe merging with Chevrolet would do them both some good, then they would probably make 16 crappy mid size cars rather than 8......
yeah, the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr/whateverthehelltheZephyrisgonnabecalledin2007 are just remodeled Mazdas, but there is one thing that makes them different.
the Mazda6 is made in USA......the clones are made in Mexico......so: no development costs and a fraction of the labor costs. In FoMoCo's eyes, that makes them better cars than LS.
And now Town Car production moves to Canada.....little lower labor costs.......about $2500 a car lower medical coverage costs......probably assembled on the same line with CrownVic/Marquis at a faster rate than the old plant........so they'll be cutting maybe $4000 out of their costs. How big a cut in price do you think we'll see? Or maybe they'll take that money and design new and unqiue plastic griles for more trucks and call them Lincolns.
Picasso wrote:

Surely you don't really think Mercury came up with that name for their 1978 Fairmont all on their own, do you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln-Zephyr
And, don't get too used to the Zephyr Marque, it is now called "MKZ".
Rob