Lincoln Zephyr & Lincoln LS

So what the hell is this thing. I saw one parked out in front of my house the other day.

Looked like a beefed up Mazda, or a shrunk down dodge magnum.

Thing is, I don't like it. I kinda look at it as a replacement to the long gone LS, which i finally recently had a chance to drive. What a beautiful car. I can't imagine why the production of the LS ever stopped and this Zephyr began. I guess they really aren't comparable, MSRP is about 10k less on the zephyr.

What was the target of these Lincoln Zephyr's, and why would they steal a model from Mercury and throw it at Lincoln. What is this, a stolen luxury compact car from 1980?

I dunno, with so many other options in a FWD 3.0L small-mid size car, I can't see very many people turning to Lincoln's 30k priced model.

My vote would have been with the LS.

GOOD JOB LINCOLN -- YOU FRIGGED UP. Maybe merging with Chevrolet would do them both some good, then they would probably make 16 crappy mid size cars rather than 8......

Reply to
Picasso

yeah, the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr/whateverthehelltheZephyrisgonnabecalledin2007 are just remodeled Mazdas, but there is one thing that makes them different.

the Mazda6 is made in USA......the clones are made in Mexico......so: no development costs and a fraction of the labor costs. In FoMoCo's eyes, that makes them better cars than LS.

And now Town Car production moves to Canada.....little lower labor costs.......about $2500 a car lower medical coverage costs......probably assembled on the same line with CrownVic/Marquis at a faster rate than the old plant........so they'll be cutting maybe $4000 out of their costs. How big a cut in price do you think we'll see? Or maybe they'll take that money and design new and unqiue plastic griles for more trucks and call them Lincolns.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Surely you don't really think Mercury came up with that name for their

1978 Fairmont all on their own, do you?

And, don't get too used to the Zephyr Marque, it is now called "MKZ".

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1