Location of 96 Ranger premium sound system

I'm trying to install an OEM (1994 or so) CD player to my 1996 Ford Ranger. The CD player has only outputs for the speakers (total of 8 wires) while the factory system has a plug that can handle 16 wires.
I purchased a wiring harness that fits pefect but still no sound. Does anyone know where this "premium sound" system/amp thing is located? I would just like to bypass the thing alltogether.
Thanks.