Location of keypad Numbers

My cousin ask me to help her out. She has a 2002 ford explorer sport trac and thinks there is a location inside the vehicle where Ford has the numbers hidden to the door lock keypad on the door. Can anyone help me out here, she does not have the money to pay them to tell her where they are she said.

Thanks Terry

Reply to
Terry

If I remember right they are on the computer located on the passenger side kick panel near the door.

Reply to
Doc

Paraphrased from an earlier post on this subject by Gerry Pierce (search on Ford Sport Trac Keypad Code):

For a 2002 Sport Trac the security module is most likely behind the passenger side airbag (earlier models had it behind the back wall cover). To get a look at the module disconnect the battery, empty the glove box, disconnect by squeezing the two stop tabs on the side of the box, and let the glove box drop all the way down. Look up under the dash and you will see two 8MM bolts (wrench size) that are used to mount the air bag. Remove these bolts. This will disconnect the air bag so it will come straight out the dash. Disconnect the air bag cable and place the air bag aside. Playing with air bags is dangerous and you might want to consider leaving the job for someone else before doing this. If you do remove the air bag, look in the big hole left in the dash. You should see an off-yellow/beige little box on the upper left hand corner of the air bag hole. Loosen the 2 7mm bolts that are used to mount this box. The code is on the top of that box. It will be a 5 digit number. Put everything back in reverse order. The defualt code does not change--the user can set their own, but the default will still work also.

According to the original post, this is not as complicated as it sounds, but since it invovles the air bag you may want to think hard before you try it.

You may also want to go to

(links to a form at
)

-----------

There are other complicating factors. Ford has been changing the type of security module used for the keyless entry system. The older modules had the permanent code hard wired in at the module manufacturer and the label with the code was always present. Ford has been changing to a system that is programmed during the vheicle manufacturing process. I believe that Ford moved the location of the module from behind the rear wall cover to the front dash area at the same time as they changed to the new type module. This may have been when they made the model year changeover from 2001 to 2002, or it may have occured part way through a model year. I have heard conflicting information about whether or not these newer modules are labeled with the permanent code. They definitely can be read by the dealer using the Ford diagnostic equipment (for a price).

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Thanks guys, I'll pass the info along.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Any luck finding the code? It would be nice to confirm (or deny) the location.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White