location of o2 sensor on 1999 windstart 3.8l

Where do I find the Oxygen Sensor on a 1999 Ford Windstar 3.8l?

--
buddyconway
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:40:13 -0600, buddyconway

intake manifold. Make sure they are the problem before replacing - many things can cause codes that the uninitiated will blame on the sensors.

Well I'm glad to see Clare didn't call you stupid too, at least indirectly, like she did when I asked a similar question ;-). (and I always thought Canadians were nice people?? ha ha)
I think a good workshop manual will be your best reference. If you're stuck with a P00172/4 diagnostic code, it's true that there may be other reasons, including a dreaded TSB 03-16-1. Fortunately, the cause for mine turned out to be crappy gas from WALMART (get what you pay). A $2 bottle of STP gas conditioner fixed my problem but I would still need to do the TSB sometime soon...bummer! Actually I'm now thinking of just taking my POS to a ditch...
On Jan 26, 3:40 pm, buddyconway <buddyconway.2l1...@no- mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

message

What initiated you to want to replace the O2 sensors on your Windstar? Need more info.. mileage, codes (if you have any), and what prompted you to start troubleshooting? CEL, rough idle, or some other symptom?
The check engine light is on, and when stopped at a red light the rpm's drop to low, and sometime the engine stalls. Ask a mechanic and he told me that 9 chances out of ten the o2 sensor was gone. 128000km's. Problem appeared after the engine was shampooed.
--
buddyconway
message

Conway,
If the CEL is on, then you have HARD FAULTs, get the codes pulled and see exactly what the computer is having a hard time with before you start throwin expensive parts at this thing. Atleast give yourself a heads up. Asking someone anymore what the problem might be without codes, is a crap shoot. You can end up chasing your tail and putting hundreds of dollars into a problem that isnt even close.
Your local auto parts store should be able to pull codes, or a small time shop will sometimes do it for about $20.00. It takes 5min and you have a better idea of what you need to trace down, and if you dont have an explanation for the codes, post here and I will look them up for you, and give you possible causes.
They put electronics on engines for a reason, not neccessarily to help troubleshoot, but hey its a great side effect, why not take advantage of it? My best guess is that you probably got water into a connector and caused a problem.. Pull the codes..
Ford Tech
Thanks for your input. I will get back to you.
--
buddyconway
message

What you need to do is get the codes read for the check engine light. I think the warranty in the US for the emissions is 80,000 mi which is pretty close to 128,000 km. You might still be covered under the waranty for this, depending on where you live. So you need to find out what the computer is telling you.
What do they use for shampoo? Johnson and Johnson's? Or Pert Plus? Did they use cream-rinse?
Seriously, these "shampoos" aren't really good for the engines. Apparently, you either got some of the soap inside the engine or it affected the electrical connections to the O2 sensor or something else. Apparently, part of the shampoo is the engine wash with a pressure washer. Maybe they got water where they shouldn't.
It could also be hard to find.
You should ask the shampoo place. IF they messed it up, they should fix it. Just don't let them cut hair.
Jeff