Looking for a mid-size domestic car recommendation

Page 11 of 16
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:35:34 GMT, "Art"

The Doctor's that complain about health insurance premiums are the last one's to want a competency ranking list posted for all.
If there were such a list posted, the AMA wouldn't be able to disguise the appallingly poor skill of some MD's.
Since we're on a Doctor / Lawyer rant here, have you ever heard a group of Lawyers b*tch that court results should be kept secret so that Lawyers with bad clients aren't punished? No Never.
It's a poor tradesman that blames his tools.
Yet Doctors seem to think that they should be able to hide poor practice behind "human variability". When in reality it's either incompetent Dr's, or experimentation on human guinea pigs who are too frail to "survive the treatment" (the MD should recognize before going down a given path the best course of action. After all they've got 8+ years of post grad training right?)
My plastic Surgeon has been practicing since 1964 & all of his work is word of mouth referral & cash payment, he's yet to be called to a medical review board for malpractice, and everyone I know that has gone to him has no qualms about using their lawyers for any complaints they have.
PS As a side note though I would think that a large # of those patients dying from medical mistakes are as a result of either understaffed nurses not having the time to carefully double check prescriptions to patients or lack of due diligence on the part of support staff.
Some Canadian Hospitals are providing patients with lists of their own medications so they can check that they're taking what they've been prescribed. (last think you want is an hemophiliac taking an Anticoagulant because someone didn't double check which bed got the heart medication & which the other medicine).
The main question is this though:
What kind of car is the Dr driving.............
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Full_Name wrote:

Q: What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class at a 4th-rate med school?
A: Doctor.
Daniel J. Stern wrote:

Q: What do you call the guy who flunked out of med school, engineering school and business school?
A. Attorney.

Someone will always graduate last. Even if the class was of only 1 person... Here is another thought. If people from 4th rate med schools are being hired regardless of their poor education wouldn't that make you think that maybe there aren't enough doctors out there and its this major deficit and lack of qualified doc's that might help cause all this malpractice. Or would you prefer that there are only a handful of really good doctors and you have to wait (well lets see, my mother can wait 2-3 months to see her doctor for something but usually just a week at most.) so have to wait like 3-12 months to see a doctor? At least then you couldn't sue the doctor. Perhaps we should work at encouraging people to enter this field and so we can find competent doctors to fulfill our drive for perfect health, not just any guy that passes med school and passes the licensing exam. Sueing a doctor for doing something wrong, that is truly malpractice, fine. Sue him, get if fixed if you can, get some money, perhaps if you can no longer work because of it, make the doctor pay for it. Fine. But whne it is something that is chance, or a rare possibility. Its not something to sue, and especially no win over. Think of the poor doctor delivering his first baby. There is a lot of shit going on. What if he messes up one little thing. he could get sued for millions. You wouldn't want that stress, I wouldn't want it. People need to learn that there is this level of respect that should be had for someone that is taking on such a great task. Seriously. It is a skill, and there are a lot of things that doctor has to think about. I think it is amazing that a doctor can even perform some of the surgeries they perform now a days. I am impressed at their skill. If I had to have one of those wild open body, with my parts everywhere and this doc using some miniscule laser to get in some deep little tube somewhere to cut this and repair that. and he left a screwdriver in me, hey, as long as he pays for them to find it, and take it out and maybe a little extra cash, sure. I can't really argue about it, compared to what the man just did. Cause otherwsie I would probably be dead, or really sick and not enjoy much of life anyways. So I have an additional scar now. Oh well, I am alive, and feel better, and he still did a much greater thing than his mistake. He made me better, and restored my life. Mistakes happen. I guess my point is. There are honest mistakes, and there are those of just pure negligance. Someone that doesn't know what they are doing and thus misdiagnoses something or is poking around with no idea what they are doing. They deserve to get sued, and lose their license. But an honest mistake should only have to repair that mistake and maybe offer a little compassion reward. As I read in the stories of lawsuits this isn't how it is. It is, lets get blood money from anyone that makes the slightest error in anything. Its a evil greed driven style that puts a very stinky color on everything this country was ever created for. Sometimes we should just be happy for the life we have, not because we don't have the life we want. Sometimes that might just be our own fault.
And in response to a post a little ways up. Someone stated that if doctors did their job right, insurance rates would go down. Yeah right... are you silly? I had a perfect driving record, and did my car insurance rate go down... Hell no, I was young.. I am a bad driver. It didn't matter what my driving record was, it mattered what my age and sex were. I am sure it is similar to doctors. A doctor may be a perfect guy, but still if he is young, and wants to perform duties that have historically lead to high payouts, I bet he is paying his ass in insurance rates. Lets not get this idea that insurance is a fair system here. I know some people can be dillusional, but lets not get crazy here.
Your post shows the ridiculousness of the typical tort reform logic. All it takes is one guy like you on the jury and the award will not be outrageous. Just 1 guy. Whenever you hear about some outrageous award, including the McDonald's case, you can be sure that there was a darn good reason for it. Juries just don't go nuts and hand out money.

Seriously.. what could possibly of been a good reason for the McDonald's coffee case? Coffee is hot, you ordered it, and wer stupid enough to pour it on yourself. The only thing McDonald's should have been required to give was perhaps some napkins. It's not rocket science that coffee is hot. I read the court readings... nothing exceptional there. Many juries go nuts and hand out money, because people who agree that the awards are too high are rather few and far between in the first place and thus are not very likely to be on a jury. I am sorry that I don't agree with you that plaintiffs should always be awarded multi million dollar prizes. I realize some get lowered, and such, but the fact that it is suggested in the first place, and then have to be appealed which costs the taxpayers more money. If you are going to refuse that there is a sue happy pandemic here in the U.S. then I am sorry but you must be wearing a shinny pair of blinders.

If you did a google search you would know what was special about the McDonald's case. The judge was a very conservative Nixon appointee and he could have overruled the jury but he thought McDonald's got exactly what they deserved. They had purposely designed a means to serve ultra hot coffee so people would still have hot coffee after eating their hamburger. They did not want people to get on line again to get their coffee re-warmed. They had received thousands of complaints of burns from their coffee and ignored them. In fact the injured woman had needed several surgeries to repair her injury and had written several letters to McDOnald's asking for out of pocket reimbursement for medical expenses. Only when her letters were ignored did she sue. Indeed McDonald's got what they deserved. And the result is cooler coffee at McDonald's.

Good, McDonald's no longer has hot coffee... what a relief. Why does the judge matter at all? I don't see how that has any bearing on it being a stupid pay out. Obviously the judge thought they deserved it, he approved it. I think that goes without saying. Ultra hot coffee? How hot is that? As far as I have been told fresh brewed coffee is supposed to be between 185 and 200F... and seeing as coffee is mostly water, this doesn't leave much room for "ultra hot" coffee... about 12. So now McDonald's probably has to keep their coffee about 145F so it is made poorly and tastes like shit. Nothing like a fresh cup of bean acid during that morning drive to work. It should be common knowledge that you make coffee by heating water to near boiling, and we all learned long ago that a pan of boiling water can scald us severely. Why is it that this lady suddenly is a victim because a cup of fresh coffee is hot? It's suppose to be hot.

Maybe you would be interested in the facts of the case. Most of what you know, including the amount involved, is wrong. http://www.vanfirm.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm

Sijuki wrote:

Yeah - just last week, I put my hand on a glowing burner on the stove, and lo and behold, it burned my hand. No one told me!!! Bastards!!! 8^)
Art wrote:

And we now all get to drink lukewarm coffee because somebody was too stupid to handle hot coffee, which was clearly marked on the cup. If people didn't want hot coffee, they didn't have to buy their coffee at McDonalds.
Matt
Indeed the result is cooler coffee at McDonald's, albeit at a much higher price. You, the consumer ALWAYS pays for the doings of the shark lawyers. Either the retail price goes up or the company like, Johns Manville and Corning, go bankrupt and go out of business. Their thousands of employees end up loosing their jobs. Come to think of it, that is one way to create more jobs in NC, vote for Kerry/Edwards. If Edwards gets to be VP there will be one less shark there to rob the people that create the jobs there. LOL
Art wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:24:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

If there were no shark lawyers, McDonalds would still be burning people, wouldn't they? People would still be needing surgery, permanent scars would be created every day, etc, etc.

Serves 'em right. Don't shed too many tears over "innocent" employees would could have and should have stepped in and demanded their products be made safe. When was the last time you heard a union calling a strike in order to make a product safer?

LOL here too. :-)
--
BT

And how hot is the coffee you make in your house? God forbid I stopped over had a mug and spilled it on myself and had to sue your homeowners for it.

Try as I might, I can not find any point to your post. Try again.
--
BT

Well... that puts you into the 5% of the population that are complete idiots. Coffee is SUPPOSED to be hot. Thanks to morons like you the only way to get it hot now is to brew your own. Bob

Ok, which am I, idiot or moron? Can't be both, numbnuts.
:-)
--
BT

Exactly what kind of coffee maker do you now have that brews hot coffee? I've bought at least 15 coffee makers of different brands and models over the last 3 years and haven't found one yet that makes hot coffee manufactured since he McDonald's verdict. I'd love to find one that can turn a cup into a nice hand warmer on cold winter days. I promise not to hold the styro cup between my legs while I drive - I have several cup holders for driving!
Thanks,
Lugnut

Actually, the closest I have, is a water heater that boils the water, but you could only make that instant crap one cup at a time. Its much better for things like hot chocolate.

You know, that post reminds me of a lawyer couple that were trying to figure out how to stop moss from growing on their sidewalk permanently (it lives on the side that gets no sunlight). Then they asked about making it so they could never have ice on the sidewalk.
There's a point where if people keep going on with these stupid lawsuits that they should just be thrown in jail to think about it. "Hi, I did something stupid so I'm going to sue you now!"