Looking for a mid-size domestic car recommendation

Page 16 of 16
Geoff wrote:

Art wrote:

That's easy, Art: I don't own any stock. I don't gamble in the stock market, other than the small amount of mutual fund gambling I do by virtue of the fact that I have a (minimally contributed to) company 401K. I sleep better at night than I would otherwise. Yet despite all the 'wisdom' of the 'financial experts' that would indicate otherwise, I seem to be enjoying a happy and fulfilling life, and probably will be for many, many decades to come. You, on the other hand, seem to be whining about every little thing at the least opportunity. See how strange this is?
If your participation in the stock market is causing you to make ridiculous assertions like we've seen here about how unfair it all is that some people make more money than others, perhaps you might want to get out of it, too.
Clearly, if you've got enough skin in the stock market game to fret about how much other people get paid, you're in far, far too deep. Maybe there should be a "stock holder's anonymous' similar to the various gambler's anonymous groups out there.
I've been thinking you need some professional help for quite awhile now, Art. Maybe this is just the sort of thing you need.
--Geoff

Even if you didn't buy any stock "you" own stock. Through your insurance company, your state, your town/city, your bank etc. I'll bet that you'd love a 10% + cut in your taxes with the same level of service. if they got a better return on their investments you could have that. Instead..............

I can't even begin to comment on the last three paragraphs.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:38:13 -0400, Geoff

So you are telling all of us that "Mr Wagoner" who did not form the company, does not own a controlling interest in the company and did not raise the funds to create the company is exponentially more valuable than the guy working on the line? Than the VP who's ready to take his job? Than the Sr Manager? If so you are either naive or delusional. "Mr. Wagoner" has not done as good a job as any number of any European CEO's earning a fraction of what he "receives".

You are saying that Mr Wagoner" is the absolute best that could be retained? I'm somewhat sceptical. As are, I would imagine the shareholders of Toyota who are getting a MUCH better bang for their investment buck (or Yen as the case may be)

Not cheap, efficiently. Say tie his wage exclusively to the performance of the company. If the company does better than before he arrived, paid. Worse, No-Pay. Sounds simple & if he is a good as you state, he'd jump at the chance.

Don't think that's the point here.

Hmm..... Ask the People in Flint Michigan their opinion on this matter.

Ahh yes....So that we can retain world stability, low oil prices, & good relations with the allies..... I'm not GWB's enemy, But I think there are better candidates (not that I'm a Kerry fan by any measure)

Tell me Geoff. Are you happy with your Car Insurance Premiums? Odds are that your insurance company has money invested in GM / Ford & other large Blue chip companies with similar pay scales for the CEO's. Guess who's premium dollars are helping to pay for these bloated salaries.... These are real Dollars & a pile of quality dollars have to be shaved off of every car to pay that wage.
We love the cars, not the Business school graduates who couldn't get a job at Enron or Tyco or Arthur Anderson or Adelphia or or or or....
| > > Newsgroups: alt.autos.gm, rec.autos.makers.chrysler, alt.autos.ford | > > Subject: Re: Looking for a mid-size domestic car recommendation | > > | > > | > > | > > "James C. Reeves" wrote: | > > | > > > | Cars built in North America of primarily North American parts are | > > > | considered "domestic" for legal purposes, regardless of whether the | > > > | nameplate says "Dodge" or "Nissan" or whatever. | > > > | | > > > | > > > The car may be "domestic", from a legal definition, however the company that | > > > produced it is not. A larger percentage of the profits, as a general rule, | > > > leave the US on its way to the high wage salaries, R&D, design teams, etc. of | > > > the host country where the HQ is location as a result. | > > | > > Versus a high percentage lining the pockets of fat cats in | > > Michigan? | > > | > > Ed | > > | > | > You got a problem with that? | | Yes. For instance: | | "Wagoner's total 2002 compensation package reached $14.7 | million in 2002, compared with $7.43 million in 2001, when | the company failed to achieve financial targets, according | to the company's proxy released Thursday." | | Do you really think the guy running GM is worth $14.7 | million dollars? I don't. | | Ed
I don't particularly think so. But that's for the stock holders and directors to decide. It's irrelevant to the particular topic in this thread anyway.
| | | "James C. Reeves" wrote: | | > | Cars built in North America of primarily North American parts are | > | considered "domestic" for legal purposes, regardless of whether the | > | nameplate says "Dodge" or "Nissan" or whatever. | > | | > | > The car may be "domestic", from a legal definition, however the company that | > produced it is not. A larger percentage of the profits, as a general rule, | > leave the US on its way to the high wage salaries, R&D, design teams, etc. of | > the host country where the HQ is location as a result. | | Versus a high percentage lining the pockets of fat cats in | Michigan? | | Ed
The money is still in the USA. These "fat cats" don't put it in their mattress...they do something with it. And I'd rather USA fat cats have the $$$ and spend them here than foreign fat cats have it and spend it there.
Many international companies maintain R & D and design studios in several countries, not just in their HQ building.
Some of you just have to get over the fact that international companies are international... in Britain this process took place many years ago with the demise of British Leyland, before which a high percentage of cars sold in Britain were 'domestic'. Anyway, how 'foreign' are Ford and GM in Britain, both whom have maintained production etc here for decades?
DAS

Chrysler 300.