Losing control of the fuel efficiency debate

Page 1 of 9
"...if there is a second Clinton administration, led by Sen. Hillary Clinton, she plans to push to double the fuel economy of U.S. cars and trucks to 55 miles per gallon by 2030.
"Sen. Clinton's ambitious energy platform is just one sign of how the auto industry has lost control of the fuel efficiency debate after two decades of successfully spinning demands for tougher mileage standards as assaults on safety, jobs and freedom. It was a great, V-8 powered ride. Now it's over..."
Wall Street Journal: http://301url.com/eoe

Excellent.

Now there is a dreamy, pulled from the sky number.
Sounds good, lets demand that automakers DOUBLE the mpg they get!
Somebody just needs to tell her never held a job, doesn't know anything about chemistry or mechanics, liberal, educated idiot ass that this just can't be done.

Is that 55 number for all models from a manufacturer? Or, is it an average to be reached for an entire model line?

It would have to be the latter. 55 mpg is never going to happen for pickups. I can imagine trying to tow a boat with a 55 mpg truck.
Right.

Shhhhhh....let's see what Scott says.

average
So you can afford to buy the gas for the boat? What boat?

I can afford gas for a boat. I used to own a Triton, so the first thing I thought of was towing with an underpowered truck.
Not gonna happen.

There are cars like this available today and have been for decades. The price of fuel is going up all the time and more efficient means of transport needs to be used more. Trains are one way of using transport better. I am sure that the price of fuel will soon demand more efficient transport. 2030 is ridiculously far away goal but it is a start.
In article

Which ones?
Do you have any references for these cars that have been available for decades?

He can't, because there has been only one car I can remember that ever got that kind of mileage and sold more than a few cars.
Honda made a 600 around 1970 that got 55 or so. It made a mini cooper look big, and they probably just buried anybody killed in an accident with the car because they couldn't get them out of it.
This is what will meet the 55 mpg Hillary wants. There is no magical "technology" that is greately going to improve fuel mileage. Microelectronics have already made the small gains in fuel economy that are possible with computer engine management.

For everyone ELSE to drive. She, otoh, will continue to be driven around in gas-gulping SUVs and limos.
After all, she's worth it.
said:

When you find someone who will make a Prius bulletproof, please pass the information on to ALL political candidates, all of whom will always use big cars.

I'd rather put them all in an airtight anything. For a few days.
The best story involves Maxine Waters, an embarrassment from Los Angeles. She couldn't be troubled to walk 300 feet for lunch.
Her Ford Expedition shuttled her the 100 yards needed to feed her ample girth.

Let me guess: Bad knees, but hereditary, nothing to do with her eating a container of Bon Bons every day.

That's it. It's always hereditary.
Elmo P. Shagnasty, 11/22/2007,12:42:49 PM, wrote:

Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel came pretty close.

Right after World War II, for example, European car makers built a variety of mini-mobiles such as the Messerschmitt KR175, later called the KR200, that carried one person on three wheels and averaged some 60 miles to the gallon.

I had the KR 200 when I was a kid. It was fun.
Mine was red.
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/messerschmitt-kr200-roadst.html
http://tinyurl.com/3cf8gf
--
Scott in Florida

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:25:34 -0800, Gosi wrote:

You don't have to go back that far. The 93 Honda Civic got that kind of mileage, I know someone who has one and it's still getting over 50 MPG. the current Honda Civic gets about half as many MPG as the 93. Cars have gotten a lot worse in the fuel economy department in the last 15 years. My 2006 Chrysler 300C gets about 20 on the highway, 22 on a really good day. My 94 Chrysler Concord, which had more interior room than the 300, got almost 30 on the highway. The 300C has a much more powerful engine than the Concord but that's not the reason for the economy difference, 300s with the same 3.5V6 as the Concord only get 1MPG more than the hemi (which is a variable displacement engine so it's really a 4 most of the time). The difference is weight and aerodynamics, the Concorde was lighter and much more streamlined.
It's not hard to build a car than gets 55 MPG, all you have to do is make it light, streamlined and use a small diesel engine. There is no invention necessary, just the will to do it.