Losing control of the fuel efficiency debate

Page 3 of 9

Not to worry, you can just pay a huge gas guzzler TAX and you can drive what you want.
This way the Hillerbeast gets what she wants, tax money.

There comes a time when increasing gas mileage is a losing game, and becomes impossible. I realize fully that mfr.s have made enormous strides (I used to get 10 miles per gallon from a Pontiac convertible I had in college, when gas was about 30c,) but there is a point where mileage can't be increased, and demanding that it be increased is like demanding that they sew buttons on zephyrs of wind.
Nomen Nescio wrote:

Nothing of value will ever be accomplished until the public gets some education and understands the difference between "Efficiency" and "Economy".
Miles Per Gallon is a measure of economy, not a measure of efficiency and a vehicle that has a lower MPG number can readily be much more efficient than a vehicle with a higher MPG number.

And they have to WANT to get better mileage. The CAFE can be increased tomorrow by using smaller engines, building smaller cars, but the buyers still want the performance of the 200+ hp sedan.
We can save oil by eliminating the Sunday drive, cruise ships, pleasure boats, snowmobiles, vacations, etc. It does not matter how much we gripe, as long as we continue to buy the same vehicles and willingly pay $3.50 a gallon, we are sending a message.

Very true, Ed. We are trying to reduce the total consumption of petroleum products because we are on a collision course with depleting American oil reserves.
wrote in message news:Wxr1j.669

We should be reducing consumption because our money is funding corruption and terrorism in Saudi Arabia, the country we should have invaded.
wrote in message news:Wxr1j.669

gripe,
How about improving the technology for getting the thick, dirty oil out of the ground in Oklahoma and Texas? Half of the oil ever there is still there, because it takes to much effort to get it out of the ground. And its full of sulphur. Improving the MPG of vehicles is only half the battle. And if the Iraq war WAS all about oil (which I believe it was), then those oil reserves will be sunk into industry, and the military forces protecting the oil fields, shipping lanes, pumping stations, etc etc etc. I think John Q Public is going to pay out the ying yang for gas, and will be driving the 4 wheel equivalent of a motor scooter in the near future. Gas at $20 a gallon sounds about right, what with the dollar in freefall and all. Good job BushCo!

700 pound "cars" with a payload of 300 pounds, powered by a 125cc engine. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography
Is this after she gets universal healthcare for ALL our friends south of the border? Or after she finishes giving amnesty to all Illegal aliens and totally ruins the country. Maybe she can leap tall buildings in a single bound and is faster than a locomotive. look up in the sky, its a bird its a plane............................................. No just the hillary blimp.

And your unaware that every politician ever elected from both parties has immediately reniged on their campaign promises? As in "read my lips"
This is nothing more than campaign poofery. It will pass.
Ted
Is there a person out there that thinks ANY manufacture if they could build a vehicle that can carry five, get out of it own way and not die climbing a grade, sell for under 30K and still get an average 50 MPG , would NOT build such a vehicle and own the market if the technology were available? Simply passing a law that says they must is pure BS. Hell few motorcycles get an average 50 MPG
mike

Very difficult but not impossible if one dares to think outside of the box. That box on 4 wheels has to be MUCH SMALLER and lighter.

First, you have to change attitudes. No amount of engineering will convince the majority of Americans they can live with a smaller car. I average 24 mpg in my full sized car, but frankly, I can live with something smaller myself. In Europe I'll get a small rental and accept it as normal. I do refuse to buy one of the big Land Barges though.
One can get by eating chicken, but once in a awhile we want steak or lobster. When did we ever decide it was a 'good idea' to allow the government to pick what we buy? Americans do not want small cars. If they did they would buy them, there are plenty available. Can the average American afford more than one vehicle, those that can do. They own the larger safe mid size and full size vehicle they need and a small car for when they do not need the larger safe mid size and full size vehicle.
Anybody running for office that says they will require any particular MPG will not get my vote any more than one who is tries telling me what I may eat
wrote in message

on Thursday 22 November 2007 08:00 am, someone posing as Nomen Nescio took a rock and etched into the cave:

This is actually a good article...
'A hypothetical Camry that weighed 2,525 pounds (1,148 kg), and had a 1.4 liter, 128-horsepower engine could accelerate to 60 miles per hour in 9.2 seconds, but would average 42 miles per gallon (5.5 liters per 100 km.) The same exercise applied to a Ford F-150 pickup would produce a vehicle that weighs 877 pounds less than today's vehicle, gets around on a 162 horsepower engine and averages 27 mpg, compared with 17.3 mpg today."
Now, I would not be driving a compact Camry or be found in a Ford truck, but the concept works.
If we all stop carpooling, we'd remove much of the weight from the car/truck and thus get better mileage.
I like that!
--
www.perfectreign.com

The Camry is not compact, it is the same size as all of today's other "full sized" cars, park one next to a 71 Torino, they are very close to the same size...

All cars are bigger that in the past. The current Civic and Corolla are bigger than the Accord and Camry just 6 or 8 years ago. The feds rate today's Camry as a mid size car. The Taurus on the other had is a full size car, even though it sells for thousands.. Americans apparently do not want to buy small cars. If they did the Civic and Corolla would out sell the Accord and Camry, rather than the other way around

on Monday 26 November 2007 08:35 am, someone posing as My Name Is Nobody took a rock and etched into the cave:

Funny how everyone disagrees with me.
All I know is I ride in a camry with the seat all the way back and my knees either hit the dashboard (if I'm a passenger) or the steering wheel (if I'm driving.)
Now, a buddy of mine has a '95 Camry which seems to have a little more room on the passenger side.
Don't even think of squeezing me in the back seat.
I much prefer my midsize Chevy Avalanche!
--
www.perfectreign.com

Well For 25 years that happened to me with my 38 inch inseam in every single Ford car built, part of the reason I drive a truck...
on Tuesday 27 November 2007 03:59 pm, someone posing as My Name Is Nobody took a rock and etched into the cave:
<snip>

I'm 38" as well - 6'4" overall. I kind of enjoy watching my poor wife climb into the Avalanche while I sit down into it. :P
--
www.perfectreign.com