Losing control of the fuel efficiency debate

Page 4 of 9
PerfectReign wrote:

And said F-150 pickup wouldn't be able to get out of it's parking space when you actually tried to use it, i.e. tow something or load a few sheets of drywall.
And then there are those of us who need the 350/3500 class pickups, which get about 11 MPG. Try that idiotic "exercise" with my 3500 and it wouldn't be able to make it over a speed bump when loaded with the 13,000# of camper and trailer it periodically moves.
As I noted before, until the public at large gets some education and understands the difference between "Efficiency" and "Economy", nothing of value will be accomplished.
Don't you understand, the environuts and government knows what you need better than you? ;)

Unfortunately some who need that F-150 carrying capacity a few times per year use them full time, wasting fuel and blocking our view.
Josh S wrote:

That is in large part a function of our screwed up taxes and insurance. I use my 7,000# truck for grocery shopping in large part because having a second small car would cost me a fortune in extra taxes and insurance vs. a very small fuel savings. Fortunately, the grocery store is a 6 mile round trip, and I work from home full time so it's not an issue anyway.

I think Josh's point was that too many people buy large trucks for reasons that make no sense, and "Just because I want one" makes no sense to the welfare of the country as a whole. "I need to bring home sheets of plywood or bales of peat moss sometimes" is bullshit, because you can rent a U-Haul for $35.00, which is much cheaper than the gas you'll waste in a year with a large truck. "It's safer to drive and better in snow" is bullshit.
But, the worst bullshit is seeing sending more, rather than less to Saudi Arabia, whose government supports madrashes - schools that train aimless men to become terrorists and kill Americans.
You can keep those little tiny cars and you imiginary gas mileage. When it comes to my life and well being I will drive the biggest baddest mf I want Because you econony NATZIS think you have the answer for the world and know what is best for everybody keep driving your little cars.You won't see George Bush or Hillary riding around in a Honda.

Who told you to say that?
If one has a wife and a few children and can only afford one vehicle, they buy the particular type of vehicle that suits the needs of the family. Buying a less safe midget or small car to save a relative few hundred dollars in fuel, or to save the planet, is not an option.

There's nothing in between midget car and a tank?
Do you believe the Camry is a tank? Buyers do not want midget or small cars, it the did Toyotas best sell would not be the Camry ;)

The tank would be the large pickup or SUV, professor.
You mean like those sold by Toyota, the part of the product line that has shown the greatest sales gain over the past ten years? Those tanks? ;)

Never mind. I forgot what I was talking to. You.
my 02 F250 4X4 stretch cab gets 18 mpg around town, and 24-26 mpg on the highway. and my crown vic gets 33 mpg on the highway. plus, they are a hell of alot more comfortable to ride in than a toy yoda.

Which motor in that F250?
7.3 diesel, with a 5 speed automatic.

Tom wrote:

Which engine in the Crown Vic?

What's the diff? There's no engine for that model year that'll touch 33 mpg unless you throw a chain around the bumper of the semi you're tailgating. :)

Maybe....MAYBE 33 mpg if you're drafting that semi.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'm curious, wondering if there is something other than the 4.6 which I have in my 97 T-Bird. Having just replaced the mickey mouse factory composite intake manifold, changed plugs and switched to a lighter oil my Bird is running better than ever. That means 17 around town, and 25/26 on the freeways with cruise control set at 70. I consider this pretty remarkable since it is better in both local and freeway than our little Chevy S-10 pickup with a 4 cyl engine.
The Vic *has* to weigh more than the T-Bird so if its a 4.6.............