Losing Radiator fluid in 2002 Taurus

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with V6. My radiator fluid keeps going low after I drive the car. When my Radiator fluid is filled up I get heat from my Heater.
I checked under Passenger dashboard area, under the carpet in Passenger foot area and it is wet. The wet area seems to be at the top part of the carpet and floor board area. Please advise if if this is a Heater Core problem or Heater hose issue? If Heater hose, do I check it under the hood at firewall or inside under my Passenger dashboard? And how much work is involve if I have to replace my Heater core?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If it is coming in your passenger area, you won't be able to get at it from the engine bay. You're going to end up taking apart the dash. A huge job. It can be either a heater core or the hoses. Either way, the problem is in taking apart the dash.
Jeff

Thanks, before I attempt this big project I was wondering if I should put Radiator Stop Leak in my Radiator to hopefully plug up the Heater Core Leak. Is this something that could work or do damage to my Cooling system?
Jeff wrote:

Any idea *WHY* the heater core is always *IN* the dash?
Couldn't they put it on the other side of the firewall, in the engine bay where it would be more accessible?
Just wondering why it's not there in the first place...
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

El Bandito wrote:

I don't think it could be that the heat comes in through dash into the passenger compartment. Do you?

I think the keyword here is "firewall." The firewall protects people from the nasty things that can be inside the engine compartment, like fire and fumes.
The heater core really needs to be in the passenger compartment (and not engine compartment) for both functional reasons (you want the heater core close to where the hot air comes out, especially near the windshield in the winter) and safety reasons (prevent fumes and fire from getting into the passenger compartment from the engine compartment). With all the stuff that have to be packed into the dash and the engine compartment near the firewall, there is no easy way to make easy access. I mean, the way the windshield and mechanical stuff are crammed in, it is very hard to make a hatch where you can just take out a few bolts and slide out the heater core. (They actually do this with some parts on race cars, but, gee, those are a bit out of my price range and don't ride as well on rough roads.)
Jeff

And how much work is involve if I have to replace my Heater core?

Removing the heater core is particularly hard with Taurus where all parts seem cramped. I remember my 53 Studebaker which also had streamlined eoro-styling. Studebaker dared to be different and put heater cores under the seats. It was a good idea as heat rises and the cares were more accessable. However, the heater weren't so good. Hot water was piped farther back from the engine causing loss of heat and dirt would accumulate in heat radiators reducing eficiency.