Loss of LED Display

In my Ford ExplorerEB 2000, the other day just as I started the vehicle I saw the multifunction LED clock display light up normaly them immediately fade away. It never came back. No other function of
of Radio or CD is lost, without display there is no clock, and it is difficult to tune and adjust.
Is this display on a fuse or the whole Radio/CD Changer will have to be replaced or is there a way to open and take a look, without getting ripped by the dealer ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Matt

Not sure about the year but if your display was green it may be a florescent type which isn't an LED but rather an electron tube. It's rare but the filaments in these can break which is the end of the road for them. In dealer terms it'd be a radio swap. OTH, your issue could be something to do with the dimming power source which feeds the radio and the dash lamps. It could also be as simple as a bad connection to the panel light connector on the back of the radio. Usually recent Ford radios are easily removed via 4 holes in the front of the unit. Some have made simple tools to do the extraction but a friendly Ford dealership might help since it only takes a few seconds.

You are right, the display was green in color, so there was a florescent tube behind it. The radio unit has four deep holes in front. I would like taking the radio unit out myself, check for any disconnection on its back and decide what to do. Dealership always want me to drop off the vehicle which is very inconvenient.
If you could guide me as to where to get the tools to extract the radio? I could proceed, and say the unit needs replacement, can I buy the radio myself and install it. If so, will it be necessary to buy it from the Dealer ?
What kind of fasteners are it that hold the unit, are the screws?
I would greatly appreciate your help.
Matt
The radio comes out very easily. The parts stores will sell you a tool that you insert in the holes. YOu can use coat hangers tho. Just tilt them so the part inside the holes tilts toward the radio. This will release a clip and you can slide it out.
There will be no chance of a loose connection. You'll have to buy the bulb, which is less than $10 at the dealer. The dealer will be the only place you can get it.
CJ

florescent
do
It